The Phoenix Coyotes have added a veteran presence to their coaching staff, bringing aboard former Chicago, Columbus, Anaheim and Vancouver assistant Newell Brown.
The Coyotes also announced they’ve parted ways with assistant John Anderson, the former Atlanta Thrashers head coach that served as Dave Tippett’s assistant in the desert since 2011.
Brown, 51, was dismissed from the Canucks in late May, along with fellow assistant Rick Bowness and head coach Alain Vigneault.
(Of note, all three have now found new jobs — Vigneault with the Rangers, Bowness with the Lightning and Brown with Phoenix)
Brown had been linked to a possible job with Vigneault in New York.
Primarily in charge of the power play, Brown initially achieved great success in Vancouver (the Canucks had the NHL’s best PP in 2010-11, at 24.3 percent).
But, last season, the unit struggled mightily and finished a disappointing 22nd (15.8 percent) in the league.
Brown — coming aboard to work with Phoenix’s power-play, according to GM Don Maloney — will be buoyed by the recent signing of Mike Ribeiro.
The former Washington Capital led the NHL in power-play assists last year, with 21, which should help a Coyotes team that finished 25th in the NHL (14.8 percent) with the man advantage last season.
Last night in Los Angeles, Kings forward Milan Lucic received a match penalty after skating the entire width of the ice to give San Jose’s Logan Couture a two-hand shove to the face.
Lucic didn’t hurt Couture, who had caught Lucic with an open-ice hit that Lucic didn’t like. Couture’s smiling, mocking face was good evidence that the Sharks’ forward was going to be OK.
This morning, Lucic was still in disbelief that he was penalized so harshly.
“I didn’t cross any line,” Lucic said, per Rich Hammond of the O.C. Register. “Believe me, if my intentions were to hurt him, I would have hurt him.”
While Lucic knew he deserved a penalty, he said after the game that he didn’t “know why it was called a match penalty.” His coach, Darryl Sutter, agreed, calling it “a borderline even roughing penalty.”
And though former NHL referee Kerry Fraser believes a match penalty was indeed warranted, Lucic said this morning that he hasn’t heard from the NHL about any possible supplemental discipline.
Nor for that matter has Dustin Brown, after his high hit on Couture in the first period.
In conclusion, it’s good to have hockey back.
Related: Sutter says Kings weren’t ‘interested’ in checking the Sharks
A statement from Raffi Torres:
“I accept the 41-game suspension handed down to me by the NHL’s Department of Player Safety. I worked extremely hard over the last two years following reconstructive knee surgery to resume my NHL career, and this is the last thing I wanted to happen. I am disappointed I have put myself in a position to be suspended again. I sincerely apologize to Jakob for the hit that led to this suspension, and I’m extremely thankful that he wasn’t seriously injured as a result of the play. I also want to apologize to my Sharks teammates and the organization.”
A statement from San Jose GM Doug Wilson:
“The Sharks organization fully supports the NHL’s supplementary discipline decision regarding Raffi. While we do not believe there was any malicious intent, this type of hit is unacceptable and has no place in our game. There is a difference between playing hard and crossing the line and there is no doubt, in this instance, Raffi crossed that line. We’re very thankful that Jakob was not seriously injured as a result of this play.”
Silfverberg says he expects to play Saturday when the Ducks open their regular season Saturday in San Jose.