The Calgary Flames have agreed to terms with RFA center Mikael Backlund on a two-year, $3 million deal, the club announced on Wednesday.
The deal has an average annual cap hit of $1.5 million, up from the $725,000 he made on his last contract.
“Mikael really stepped-up last season and took advantage of the change in direction under a new coaching staff,” Flames GM Jay Feaster said in a statement. “He came into camp in very good shape and also had regained his confidence. He parlayed that into a strong season, and if it wasn’t for his injury we believe he would have progressed even further in his development.”
Backlund, Calgary’s first-round pick (24th overall) at the 2007 NHL Entry Draft, had 16 points in 32 games last year, missing time with an MCL sprain.
The Flames have a major lack of depth at center heading into 2013-14, and are hopeful Backlund can fill the gap — but they were also hopeful last year, when they pushed the Swedish forward to “believe in himself.”
Calgary has shown plenty of patience with Backlund through his first four years of professional hockey, but now sounds ready for him to take the next step.
“We need Mikael to be one of our go-to players this year,” Feaster said. “We are excited about watching him continue to evolve and take that step to the next level as a player.”
The Calgary Flames have released Ryan Wilson from his professional tryout.
The 28-year-old was trying to make a comeback after missing 79 games with a shoulder injury last season.
Even with T.J. Brodie sidelined because of a broken hand, Wilson still faced long odds to make the final roster.
The veteran will be hard-pressed to find NHL work with another team.
He hasn’t suited up in more than 12 regular season games since 2011-12.
The Stockton Heat, Calgary’s AHL affiliate, also made some news on Sunday.
The club announced that they’ve signed Colton Orr to an AHL contract.
The 33-year-old tough guy suited up in just one game for the Toronto Maple Leafs last season. He has 12 seasons of NHL experience under his belt.
The Arizona Coyotes have returned Dylan Strome to the Erie Otters of the OHL.
Strome, 18, was the third overall pick in the 2015 NHL draft.
The 6’3, 185 pounder was hoping to stick with the Coyotes this season, but the team decided to take the conservative approach with their top prospect.
Strome will look to build off an incredible junior season that saw him score 45 goals and 129 points in 68 games.
Strome seems to be taking the demotion in stride.
The team also announced that they’ve assigned goaltender Louis Domingue and forward Matthias Plachta to their AHL affiliate in Springfield.
Domingue, 23, had a 1-2-1 record with a 2.73 goals-against-average and a .911 save percentage in seven games last season.
Plachta, a free agent signing, will begin his first pro season in North America. The 24-year-old had 14 goals and 35 points in the German League last season.