A couple of days ago, we wrote that the St. Louis Blues may need to make a trade to reduce salary.
Today, they did just that, sending winger David Perron to the Edmonton Oilers for 22-year-old winger Magnus Paajarvi and a 2014 second-round draft pick.
Perron, 25, has three years remaining on his contract, with a cap hit of $3.8 million. That he was traded should come as no surprise, as he was reportedly dangled at the draft.
For Oilers general manager Craig MacTavish, perhaps the Perron acquisition will quell some of the offseason frustration he was feeling.
Perron, the Blues’ 26th overall pick in the 2007 draft, had 10 goals and 15 assists in 48 games last season. He had a career-high 21 goals in 2011-12, and that was in just 57 games (he missed considerable time with a concussion that season, as well as the one before it).
As for Paajarvi, the past two seasons have been frustrating for the 2009 10th overall pick. He showed great promise as a rookie in 2010-11; however, he’s spent time in both Edmonton and AHL Oklahoma City since then.
In 2013, Paajarvi had nine goals and seven assists in 42 games for the Oilers.
“Magnus is a well-rounded player who has good size and great skating ability,” said Blues GM Doug Armstrong in a release. “He is just coming into his own and this will open up more ice time for Jaden (Schwartz) and Vladimir (Tarasenko). I would like to thank David for his time in St. Louis and wish him well in Edmonton.”
Related: Contract talks between Stewart and Blues have ‘picked up’
The Toronto Maple Leafs trimmed their training camp roster by 16 players on Sunday.
Two of the Leafs’ top prospects, William Nylander and Kasperi Kapanen, are heading to the the Toronto Marlies of the AHL.
For the full list of cuts, click here.
Nylander was Toronto’s first round pick, eighth overall, in 2014.
The 19-year-old scored an impressive 14 goals and 32 points in 37 games with the Marlies in 2014-15.
Kapenen, 19, was acquired from the Pittsburgh Penguins in the Phil Kessel trade.
He had one goal and one assist in a brief four game stint with Pittsburgh’s farm team last season.
The rebuilding Maple Leafs have no issue being patient with their top young prospects. Both players could make their NHL debut at some point this season, but they may have to wait a little while longer before they become regulars at the next level.
The Leafs now have 24 players on their training camp roster. They have until Tuesday to put the finishing touches on their lineup. Toronto needs to cut at least one more player.
According to TSN’s Darren Dreger, Raffi Torres has been suspended pending his disciplinary hearing with the league for his hit on Ducks forward Jakob Silfverberg.
Torres was assessed a match penalty for targeting Silfverberg’s head on Saturday night.
The 33-year-old missed all of last season with a knee injury, and it looks like the start of his regular season will be delayed once again.
Head coach Bruce Boudreau said that Silfverberg could have come back into the game, but he was held out for precautionary reasons.
Ducks center Ryan Kesler didn’t hide his feelings after the contest.
“(Torres) is the same player every year,” Kesler told reporters. “He needs to learn how to hit. That has no part in our game anymore.”