Daniel Alfredsson

Sens president isn’t sure if Alfredsson’s number will be retired


Senators president Cyril Leeder is in the process of determining how the Ottawa Senators should proceed from a marketing perspective without their former captain, Daniel Alfredsson.

The 40-year-old forward had been the face of the franchise for so long. He’s the franchise leader in games and with 1108 career points, he has a huge lead on the team’s all-time scoring race over Jason Spezza, who ranks second with 621.

Of course, Alfredsson will be playing for the Detroit Red Wings next season and that has to sting for Ottawa. At the same time, given the impact he’s had on the Senators franchise, he’s still a lock to get his No. 11 retired, right?

“We’ll see,” Leeder told the Ottawa Sun.

“I’m not going to prejudge that now. That’s an announcement that should come at a different point in time.”

Leeder was also asked if the door would be open to Alfredsson returning to the team in a non-playing capacity after his retirement.

“I don’t think that was a foregone conclusion, that Daniel was going to come and work for the organization,” Leeder said. “I know that had been talked about by a number of people but I think that’s still to be determined in the future.”

Leeder doesn’t “necessarily agree” with Alfredsson’s believe that the Detroit Red Wings will provide him with a better chance to win than Ottawa and he’s hoping to prove Alfredsson wrong in that regard.

“But we don’t begrudge him that fact,” Leeder said. “He’s certainly earned the right to make that decision after all he’s given us. We wish him well, except for the four or five nights a year we play him.”

What happens after 2013-14 though, seems to be up in the air.


Did the Senators low-ball Alfredsson?

Sens GM Murray: Alfredsson conversation ‘devastating, disappointing’

Alfredsson expects anger from Sens fans, ‘as there definitely should be’

Ducks name Kesler alternate captain

Ryan Kesler
Leave a comment

For the second time in his career, Ryan Kesler is wearing an “A.”

On Thursday, the Anaheim Ducks announced that Kesler would serve as one of the club’s alternate captains this season, taking over for Francois Beauchemin, who signed in Colorado this summer.

With the move, Kesler joins Anaheim’s existing leadership group of captain Ryan Getzlaf, and alternate Corey Perry.

“It’s an honor,” Kesler said, per the Ducks. “It’s special. I’m going to wear it with pride and lead by example.”

As mentioned earlier, Kesler has some experience as an alternate — he wore an “A” in Vancouver from 2008-13, but had it removed prior to the start of the ’13-14 campaign.

It’s not surprising Anaheim went in this direction. GM Bob Murray made a huge investment in Kesler this summer by inking the 31-year-old to a six-year, $41.25M extension.

Diaz could leave Rangers for Europe

Raphael Diaz, Mike Sislo
Leave a comment

Could Raphael Diaz be on his way back to Switzerland?

We’ll know in a month.

Diaz, who lost out on the Rangers’ final blueline spot in training camp, has reported to the club’s AHL affiliate in Hartford but doesn’t seem pleased with his current situation, per the Post:

The 29-year-old Diaz, who cleared waivers last Saturday after the Blueshirts opted to keep rookie Dylan McIlrath as the club’s seventh on the blue line, is interested in the European option if he is not in the NHL.

The Blueshirts have told Diaz they will revisit the situation at the end of October, but have not promised to release him or assign him to a European team at that point.

If Diaz, a Swiss native who represented Switzerland in the 2014 Olympics, does play in Europe during the season, he would have to go through waivers in order to return to the NHL.

Diaz’s agent, Ritch Winter, told the Post that Diaz signed a one-year, $700,000 deal with the Rangers “to play with the Rangers.”

And it’s understandable if Diaz — a journeyman offensive defenseman — isn’t happy with this situation.

While some believe McIlrath earned his roster spot on merit, some think it’s because of his contract status. McIlrath, who’s only 23 and a former first-round pick, would’ve needed to clear waivers to go back to Hartford, and it’s believed he would’ve been claimed by another club.