Paul MacLean

Sens sign Adams winner MacLean to three-year extension


After earning a Jack Adams nomination in his first year on the job, then winning the trophy in his second, Ottawa head coach Paul MacLean has been rewarded with a three-year contract extension.

“In two years, Paul has made a significant impact on the entire franchise, both on and off the ice,” Sens GM Bryan Murray said in a statement. “We feel that under Paul’s direction we have been able to develop into a team that is competitive each and every night and we are confident that he is the person we want behind the bench to lead us to our goal of being a championship level team.”

MacLean, 55, has enjoyed tremendous success in Ottawa since inheriting the head coaching gig from Cory Clouston in 2011.

He led the club to a 41-win, 92-point campaign in 2011-12, earning a surprise playoff berth and the aforementioned Adams nomination (eventually won by St. Louis’ Ken Hitchcock).

This year, MacLean outdid that performance — in the face of major adversity.

The Sens were without the services of Jason Spezza, Erik Karlsson and Craig Anderson for large portions of the season, yet still managed to finish seventh in the Eastern Conference (25-17-6) — one spot higher than the season prior — and win a playoff round for the first time since 2007.

“Paul represents what we want to become as both a hockey club and as a franchise,” said Senators owner Eugene Melnyk. “He is a hard-working coach and an outstanding teacher and mentor of the game.

“I am very pleased and proud to extend Paul’s contract and look forward to his many future contributions to our team and to our city.”

Jason Demers tweets #FreeTorres, gets mocked

Los Angeles Kings v San Jose Sharks - Game One

Following his stunning 41-game suspension, it looks like Raffi Torres has at least one former teammate in his corner.

We haven’t yet seen how the San Jose Sharks or the NHLPA are reacting to the league’s hammer-dropping decision to punish Torres for his Torres-like hit on Jakob Silfverberg, but Jason Demers decided to put in a good word for Torres tonight.

It was a simple message: “#FreeTorres.”

Demers, now of the Dallas Stars, was once with Torres and the Sharks. (In case this post’s main image didn’t make that clear enough already.)

Perhaps this will become “a thing” at some point.

So far, it seems like it’s instead “a thing (that people are making fun of).”

… You get the idea.

The bottom line is that there are some who either a) blindly support Torres because they’re Sharks fans or b) simply think that the punishment was excessive.

The most important statement came from the Department of Player Safety, though.

Bruins list Chara on IR, for now

Zdeno Chara

Those who feel as though the Boston Bruins may rebound – John Tortorella, maybe? – likely rest some of their optimism on the back of a healthy Zdeno Chara.

It’s possible that he’s merely limping into what may otherwise be a healthy 2015-16 season, but it’s definitely looking like a slow start thanks to a lower-body injury.

The latest sign of a bumpy beginning came on Monday, as several onlookers (including’s Joe Haggerty) pointed out that Chara was listed on injured reserve.

As Haggerty notes, that move is retroactive to Sept. 24, so his status really just opens up options for the Bruins.

Still … it’s a little unsettling, isn’t it?

The Bruins likely realize that they need to transition away from their generational behemoth, but last season provided a stark suggestion that may not be ready yet. Trading Dougie Hamilton and losing Dennis Seidenberg to injury only make them more dependent on the towering 38-year-old.

This isn’t really something to panic about, yet it might leave a few extra seats open on the Bruins’ bandwagon.