gyi0061784707-shanedoan

Glendale vote tonight could determine Coyotes’ fate

49 Comments

What started with former Coyotes owner Jerry Moyes filing for bankruptcy in 2009 might finally come to a head tonight with a City Council meeting scheduled to start at 10:00 p.m. ET.

We have reached the NHL’s deadline for the City of Glendale to either vote in favor of prospective Coyotes owner Renaissance Sports & Entertainment’s (RSE) 15-year, $225 million lease agreement on Jobing.com Arena or risk losing the franchise entirely.

With that vote looming, Global Spectrum announced it’s support of RSE, according to CSN Philly.

The list of things that Global Spectrum is the owner of includes Philadelphia Flyers and their home, the Wells Fargo Center.

“As owner of an NHL franchise and operator of the arena in which that team plays, we are confident that Global Spectrum will do amazing things for us in Glendale,” one of RSE’s partners, Anthony LeBlanc said.

“Combining Global Spectrum’s management of the stadium next door with the efforts at the arena creates unique operating efficiencies that will be financially beneficial to both venues,” Flyers president Peter Luukko added.

“With an ability to combine our efforts, we can maximize opportunities for our teams, our customers and guests while significantly reducing expenses.”

That being said, there are areas of concern that remain. As TSN reported:

Unresolved concerns about the deal were outlined in a memo released by the City of Glendale last week, including issues over the city bearing all the risk in the deal if Renaissance’s plan fails and a $15 million management fee to RSE that could end up costing the city more than the projected annual cost of $6 million (should other projections not be met).

Included in the deal are a pair of out-clauses for Renaissance, including one that kicks in at the five-year mark and one if their cumulative losses should hit the $50 million mark. The deal does not include an out-clause for the City of Glendale.

Related:

NHL to Glendale: July 2 deadline is no bluff

Coyotes update: Glendale’s new proposal could be a ‘non-starter’

Bettman waiting on Glendale, says Coyotes could move

Glendale’s proposal to keep Coyotes is a doozy

Goalie nods: Interesting times in St. Louis, as Hutton makes third straight start

CHICAGO, IL - OCTOBER 01: Carter Hutton #40 of the St. Louis Blues stops a shot by Vincent Hinostroza #48 of the Chicago Blackhawks during a preseason game at the United Center on October 1, 2016 in Chicago, Illinois. (Photo by Jonathan Daniel/Getty Images)
Getty
Leave a comment

Jake Allen‘s had trouble adjusting to life as the Blues’ No. 1 netminder — see here, here, here and here — and now, he’s getting an awfully long look at St. Louis’ No. 2.

Tonight, Carter Hutton will make his third consecutive start when the Blues host the Sens at Scottrade. The decision to stick with Hutton comes after he stopped 55 of 56 shots in back-to-back wins over the Sharks and Ducks — on the road, no less — and posted a 23-save shutout in San Jose on Saturday.

Allen, meanwhile, hasn’t played since a 5-1 loss to Los Angeles last Thursday in which he was hooked in favor of Hutton. That was, somewhat infamously, when Blues head coach Ken Hitchcock dropped some pretty frank talk on his beleaguered No. 1.

“This is really on the athlete. There’s times in your young career where you just said you’ve had enough and then you’ve got to go turn it around the other way,” Hitchcock said of Allen’s struggles. “He’s in a position where he’s the guy that has to really take charge here.

“He’s got to man-up and get better.”

Allen, 26, was tasked with carrying the load this season after the Blues dealt Brian Elliott to Calgary at the draft. His status as the club’s No. 1 was cemented with a four-year, $17.4 million deal signed not long after. But things haven’t gone to plan since — Allen’s struggled all year, and is currently saddled with a .900 save percentage and 2.76 GAA.

This latest development is really compelling. For most of the year, Hitch has adhered to the “he’s our guy, we gotta stick with him” philosophy with Allen — until now. Perhaps Hitch is tired of waiting. Or perhaps he sees Nashville in the rear view — the Preds have won three straight, and are now just four points back of St. Louis in the Central.

For the Sens, Mike Condon starts in goal.

Elsewhere…

— More of the same for the red-hot ‘Canes, who will give Cam Ward his 20th consecutive start. No word yet on who goes for the host Blue Jackets, as Sergei Bobrovsky has been dealing with an illness.

Henrik Lundqvist‘s trusty backup, Antti Raanta, is out until the All-Star break with a lower-body injury, so it’s King Henrik in goal for the foreseeable future. No word yet on who Dallas will start, though Kari Lehtonen did play in yesterday’s loss to Buffalo.

Robin Lehner, fresh off a 31-save win over Dallas on Monday, is back in for the Sabres. He’ll be up against Frederik Andersen in Toronto.

— The Devils will stick with Cory Schneider after he beat the Canucks in Vancouver on Sunday. The host Wild are going with Devan Dubnyk, who continues to be lights-out this season.

— It’s Roberto Luongo versus Chad Johnson as the Panthers take on the Flames in Calgary.

Semyon Varlamov, who’s lost his first two games since returning from a groin injury, will get the start in Colorado as the Avs host the Blackhawks. Chicago counters with Corey Crawford.

Jonathan Bernier took advantage of a rare start on the weekend, shutting out the Coyotes, but the Ducks will go back to John Gibson when the host the Bolts. Tampa Bay has yet to announce a starter, but Ben Bishop did play (and win) yesterday in L.A.

Ryan Miller gets back in goal for Vancouver after Jacob Markstrom played against New Jersey on Sunday. Looks like Miller will face off against Pekka Rinne, who starts for the visiting Preds.

BREAKING: Isles fire Capuano

NEW YORK, NY - APRIL 24: Jack Capuano of the New York Islanders leaves the ice following a 2-1 victory over the Florida Panthers in Game Six of the Eastern Conference First Round during the 2016 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs at the Barclays Center on April 24, 2016 in the Brooklyn borough of New York City. The Islanders won the game 2-1 to win the series four games to two. (Photo by Bruce Bennett/Getty Images)
Getty
9 Comments

After a disappointing campaign that’s seen numerous calls for his job, Jack Capuano has been fired by the Islanders.

Assistant GM Doug Weight, who also served as a bench coach on Capuano’s staff, will take over the gig on an interim basis.

Capuano’s dismissal come with the Isles sitting dead last in the Eastern Conference, with a 17-17-8 record and just 42 points. They’re eight back of Philly for the final wild card spot, though the club did just put forth one of its best efforts of the season in Monday’s 4-0 win over the Bruins at TD Garden.

Despite that, the Isles are still a far cry from where they were last season, when they qualified for their second straight playoff appearance and won a round for the first time since 1993.

The team underwent some significant changes this offseason — Frans Nielsen, Kyle Okposo and Matt Martin left in free agency, while Andrew Ladd and Jason Chimera came aboard — and never seemed to gel. Ladd and Chimera have disappointed, the defense and goaltending have been suspect (24th in GAA) and special teams have been a constant problem (26th-ranked PP, 21st-ranked PK).

There was hope former first-round pick Ryan Strome would take another step forward in his progression, but it hasn’t happened. And the club’s talented prospects — Mathew Barzal, Michael Dal Colle, Josh Ho-Sang — were deemed too young and inexperienced to play this season.

As a result, Capuano openly questioned how the club would compensate for the offseason departures.

“Where are we going to get point production?” Capuano asked reporters earlier this month. “One hundred and thirty-four points out of our lineup that we lost. Now we have to find a way. Like everything gets magnified, I get it. You guys are talking about the (losses) lately…but we have to find a way to get some balanced offense in our hockey team.”

There was also a constant issue with the club’s three-goalie setup, only recently alleviated with the waiving and AHL demotion of Jaroslav Halak — which came after Caupano called Halak out for his poor play.

It’s worth noting that, earlier this season, Isles GM Garth Snow had given Capuano a vote of confidence. But time and patience apparently ran out. As a result, the NHL’s fourth longest-tenured head coach is no longer.

Tough day in Vancouver: Hutton out 3-6 weeks with fractured hand

ANAHEIM, CA - OCTOBER 23:  Ben Hutton #27 of the Vancouver Canucks trips Ryan Garbutt #16 of the Anaheim Ducks during the first period of a game at Honda Center on October 23, 2016 in Anaheim, California.  (Photo by Sean M. Haffey/Getty Images)
Getty
1 Comment

Just a short while ago, the Canucks announced they were shutting down Anton Rodin — the Swedish Hockey League’s reigning MVP — with a troublesome knee injury that isn’t getting better.

Now, more bad news.

Sophomore defenseman Ben Hutton, just weeks removed from signing a two-year contract extension, has suffered a fractured hand and will miss the next 3-6 weeks of action.

Hutton hasn’t dressed since Jan. 6, when he played nearly 22 minutes in a win over Calgary. He sat out the next night’s game — and did so on late notice, forcing the Canucks to play with just five d-men — and now joins fellow blueliners Erik Gudbranson and Philip Larsen on the shelf.

The University of Maine product is a big piece of Vancouver’s defense. Prior to getting hurt, he had four goals and seven assists in 41 games while averaging 20:59 of ice time.

The 23-year-old burst onto the scene last year, and surprised many last year after making the team out of training camp and putting together an impressive campaign. A fifth-round pick in 2012, Hutton finished tied for second with Colton Parayko in rookie d-men in assists (24), trailing only Flyers standout Shayne Gostisbehere.

Hutton was then named to Team Canada’s gold-medal winning side at the 2016 World Hockey Championships.

Looking ahead, the Canucks project to ice a blueline featuring Alex Edler, Chris Tanev, Luca Sbisa, Nikita Tryamkin, Troy Stecher and Alex Biega tonight when they host the Predators.

Canucks will be without Rodin ‘until his knee strength and function return’

SASKATOON, SK - JANUARY 3:  Anton Rodin #18 of Team Sweden skates with the puck while being defended by David Warsofsky #5 of Team USA during the 2010 IIHF World Junior Championship Tournament Semifinal game on January 3, 2010 at the Credit Union Centre in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada.  Team USA defeated Team Sweden 5-2.  (Photo by Richard Wolowicz/Getty Images)
Getty
Leave a comment

The last time Anton Rodin got into the Vancouver Canucks’ lineup, he sat on the bench the entire game.

Today, the Canucks announced that the 26-year-old winger has re-aggravated the same knee injury he suffered a year ago while playing in Sweden, and now he needs to rest.

“Our Canucks medical team and Anton have determined it is in his best interest to undergo a period of rest, followed by rehab, until his knee strength and function return,” said GM Jim Benning in a release. “Anton will undergo an MRI and orthopedic consult this week.”

In the same release, Benning confirmed that Rodin fell on his knee Jan. 6 against the Flames at Rogers Arena. It was the very next night in Calgary that he didn’t play a single shift, as the Canucks only had five healthy defensemen and were forced to dress 13 forwards.

“Rodin wasn’t 100 percent and once it gets past 10 minutes, it’s hard to get him in and once you do, it’s not fair to play him,” explained head coach Willie Desjardins, per The Province.

It’s a disappointing turn of events for Rodin, who waited a long time to make his NHL debut. He’s only been able to skate in three games for the Canucks, and his ice time was limited in all three.

Rodin started the season on injured reserve after re-aggravating his knee in the preseason.

Related: Anton Rodin is looking to make the leap