The New Jersey Devils will get another three years of forward Dainius Zubrus, according to a Bergen Record source. The exact financial terms of the deal are not yet known, but his annual cap hit is believed to be about $3 million.
If that’s true, it would represent a mild pay cut compared to the $3.4 million he had been earning annually over the last six seasons.
Although Zubrus said that the deal wasn’t finalized, he did emphasize his desire to stay within the organization that he’s played for since the start of 2007-08.
He’s a solid secondary scorer, but the 35-year-old coming off a rough season where he needed wrist surgery. He had two goals and nine points in just 22 contests as a result.
Zubrus is one of several Devils players that can become unrestricted free agents on July 5. Former 30-goal scorer David Clarkson is another that Devils GM Lou Lamoriello is trying to re-sign, but it sounds like those negotiations are not too far along.
“I’m continuing my dialogue with Lou,” Clarkson’s agent, Pat Morris said. “We haven’t gotten to economic specifics at all. It’s Lou trying to say the team will be in good shape and David can eliminate that worry from his mindset.
“David is digesting that information and we’ll go to the next phase if we can go to the next phase with it which is, hopefully, being able to listen to an economic position from New Jersey.”
The Devils are also still in danger of losing forward Patrik Elias, so even if Zubrus has agreed to terms, Lamoriello still has a lot of work left to do.
The New York Islanders have claimed goalie Jean-Francois Berube off waivers from the Los Angeles Kings, the club announced today.
Berube won the Calder Cup last season with AHL Manchester, but the 24-year-old has yet to appear in an NHL game.
That the Isles claimed Berube could be evidence that Jaroslav Halak will not be ready to start the season after all.
If that’s the case, Berube would back up Thomas Greiss, with Stephon Williams expected to go to the AHL.
The Isles open their regular season Friday at home versus the Blackhawks, then play the next day in Chicago.
The Toronto Maple Leafs have claimed one of the more intriguing players placed on waivers — former Vancouver defenseman Frank Corrado.
Corrado, 22, was waived by the Canucks on Monday. The former OHL standout had appeared in 28 career games for Vancouver — including 10 last year — but was squeezed out of an NHL spot following the emergence of Ben Hutton, who surprised many onlookers by making the 23-man roster.
Canucks GM Jim Benning will receive criticism for losing an asset like Corrado for nothing. Several Vancouver pundits warned of exposing a young, promising d-man to waivers and those warnings ultimately proved accurate.
With Toronto, Corrado could push for playing time as the club indicated on Monday veteran d-man Sephane Robidas wouldn’t be with the team to start the year. That would leave the the Leafs with seven healthy blueliners: Dion Phaneuf, Jake Gardiner, Roman Polak, Morgan Rielly, Matt Hunwick, Martin Marincin and Scott Harrington, who can go to the minors without having to clear waivers.
Petter Granberg, another defenseman, is currently on IR.
In a corresponding move to the Corrado claim, the Leafs put forward Richard Panik on waivers. Panik, who Toronto plucked off waivers from Tampa Bay last year, appeared in 76 games for the Leafs, scoring 11 goals and 17 points.