The New Jersey Devils will get another three years of forward Dainius Zubrus, according to a Bergen Record source. The exact financial terms of the deal are not yet known, but his annual cap hit is believed to be about $3 million.
If that’s true, it would represent a mild pay cut compared to the $3.4 million he had been earning annually over the last six seasons.
Although Zubrus said that the deal wasn’t finalized, he did emphasize his desire to stay within the organization that he’s played for since the start of 2007-08.
He’s a solid secondary scorer, but the 35-year-old coming off a rough season where he needed wrist surgery. He had two goals and nine points in just 22 contests as a result.
Zubrus is one of several Devils players that can become unrestricted free agents on July 5. Former 30-goal scorer David Clarkson is another that Devils GM Lou Lamoriello is trying to re-sign, but it sounds like those negotiations are not too far along.
“I’m continuing my dialogue with Lou,” Clarkson’s agent, Pat Morris said. “We haven’t gotten to economic specifics at all. It’s Lou trying to say the team will be in good shape and David can eliminate that worry from his mindset.
“David is digesting that information and we’ll go to the next phase if we can go to the next phase with it which is, hopefully, being able to listen to an economic position from New Jersey.”
The Devils are also still in danger of losing forward Patrik Elias, so even if Zubrus has agreed to terms, Lamoriello still has a lot of work left to do.
Following his stunning 41-game suspension, it looks like Raffi Torres has at least one former teammate in his corner.
We haven’t yet seen how the San Jose Sharks or the NHLPA are reacting to the league’s hammer-dropping decision to punish Torres for his Torres-like hit on Jakob Silfverberg, but Jason Demers decided to put in a good word for Torres tonight.
It was a simple message: “#FreeTorres.”
Demers, now of the Dallas Stars, was once with Torres and the Sharks. (In case this post’s main image didn’t make that clear enough already.)
Perhaps this will become “a thing” at some point.
So far, it seems like it’s instead “a thing (that people are making fun of).”
… You get the idea.
The bottom line is that there are some who either a) blindly support Torres because they’re Sharks fans or b) simply think that the punishment was excessive.
The most important statement came from the Department of Player Safety, though.
Those who feel as though the Boston Bruins may rebound – John Tortorella, maybe? – likely rest some of their optimism on the back of a healthy Zdeno Chara.
It’s possible that he’s merely limping into what may otherwise be a healthy 2015-16 season, but it’s definitely looking like a slow start thanks to a lower-body injury.
The latest sign of a bumpy beginning came on Monday, as several onlookers (including CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty) pointed out that Chara was listed on injured reserve.
As Haggerty notes, that move is retroactive to Sept. 24, so his status really just opens up options for the Bruins.
Still … it’s a little unsettling, isn’t it?
The Bruins likely realize that they need to transition away from their generational behemoth, but last season provided a stark suggestion that may not be ready yet. Trading Dougie Hamilton and losing Dennis Seidenberg to injury only make them more dependent on the towering 38-year-old.
This isn’t really something to panic about, yet it might leave a few extra seats open on the Bruins’ bandwagon.