Vincent Lecavalier

Report: NHL nixes trade-buyout-re-sign plan amidst rumors of Leafs-Lecavalier deal


The NHL has deemed that trading a player, having the acquiring team buy him out and then re-signing him is a form of CBA/salary cap circumvention, according to the New York Post.

As per The Post’s Larry Brooks, the league notified general managers on Monday it was closing the potential loophole, two days before the NHL’s compliance buyout window was set to open (Wednesday, 11 p.m. ET.)

What’s more, Brooks reports one such deal was already on the table:

It is believed the Lightning and Maple Leafs had discussed such a maneuver regarding Vincent Lecavalier, who has seven years and $45 million remaining on his contract, with the buyout thus worth slightly more than $30 million.

The clubs theoretically would have concocted a swap in which Tampa Bay would have sent an asset — perhaps a draft pick — to rolling-in-dough Toronto along with Lecavalier, who would have re-signed a more modest deal with the Lightning after being bought out by the Leafs.

Such a scheme would have saved Tampa Bay’s ownership a substantial sum while easing a cap squeeze for general manager Steve Yzerman, whose club currently faces a charge of $7.727 million per for Lecavalier through 2019-20 and the danger of significant cap-recapture penalties should No. 4 retire while still under contract.

The Leafs would have received an asset while the 33-year-old Lecavalier would at least have been made whole.

Lecavalier has been the subject of buyout talk for a while.

“We understand this is a difficult contract in a difficult cap environment,” Lecavalier’s agent, Kent Hughes, told the Tampa Bay Times of his client’s current deal. “We recognize (a buyout) is within the club’s right. One way or another there will be clarity in the next seven to nine days.”

Earlier this month, the Bolts captain admitted he’s contemplated being bought out.

“It’s obviously something you think about,” he told the Tampa Bay Times. “At the same time, there’s nothing I can do about it.”

It should be noted teams are still allowed to trade players for the sole purpose of the acquiring team buying them out, so long as there’s no plan to re-sign the bought-out player.

The best example of this would be the New York Islanders and Rick DiPietro.

According to CBC’s Elliotte Friedman, Isles GM Garth Snow will reportedly “try to make it worthwhile” for teams to stomach DiPietro’s contract (the buyout would put him on the books until 2029) by possibly taking a bad contract in return, or sending picks and/or prospects.

Jason Demers tweets #FreeTorres, gets mocked

Los Angeles Kings v San Jose Sharks - Game One
Leave a comment

Following his stunning 41-game suspension, it looks like Raffi Torres has at least one former teammate in his corner.

We haven’t yet seen how the San Jose Sharks or the NHLPA are reacting to the league’s hammer-dropping decision to punish Torres for his Torres-like hit on Jakob Silfverberg, but Jason Demers decided to put in a good word for Torres tonight.

It was a simple message: “#FreeTorres.”

Demers, now of the Dallas Stars, was once with Torres and the Sharks. (In case this post’s main image didn’t make that clear enough already.)

Perhaps this will become “a thing” at some point.

So far, it seems like it’s instead “a thing (that people are making fun of).”

… You get the idea.

The bottom line is that there are some who either a) blindly support Torres because they’re Sharks fans or b) simply think that the punishment was excessive.

The most important statement came from the Department of Player Safety, though.

Bruins list Chara on IR, for now

Zdeno Chara

Those who feel as though the Boston Bruins may rebound – John Tortorella, maybe? – likely rest some of their optimism on the back of a healthy Zdeno Chara.

It’s possible that he’s merely limping into what may otherwise be a healthy 2015-16 season, but it’s definitely looking like a slow start thanks to a lower-body injury.

The latest sign of a bumpy beginning came on Monday, as several onlookers (including’s Joe Haggerty) pointed out that Chara was listed on injured reserve.

As Haggerty notes, that move is retroactive to Sept. 24, so his status really just opens up options for the Bruins.

Still … it’s a little unsettling, isn’t it?

The Bruins likely realize that they need to transition away from their generational behemoth, but last season provided a stark suggestion that may not be ready yet. Trading Dougie Hamilton and losing Dennis Seidenberg to injury only make them more dependent on the towering 38-year-old.

This isn’t really something to panic about, yet it might leave a few extra seats open on the Bruins’ bandwagon.