Joe Sakic Executive Vice President of Hockey Operations of the Colorado Avalanche addresses the media as Patrick Roy is introduced as the new Head Coach/Vice President of Hockey Operations of the Colorado Avalanche during a press conference at the Pepsi Center on May 28, 2013 in Denver, Colorado.
(May 27, 2013 - Source: Doug Pensinger/Getty Images North America)

Sakic, Roy leaning towards MacKinnon for top pick


Last week, Avalanche executive vice president of hockey operations Joe Sakic said his team would either deal the top pick of the 2013 NHL Entry Draft or select a forward.

Now he’s adding that if the draft were held today, he would specifically take Nathan MacKinnon, according to Xfinity Monday Live via the Denver Post.

“But we still have some time,” he cautioned. Among other things, Sakic is still open to trading the pick for the right price.

New Colorado Avalanche coach Patrick Roy seems to be on the same page.

“It would be tough for us not to take MacKinnon,” Roy told ESPN The Magazine. “MacKinnon is ready to play tomorrow.”

Roy added that he thinks it would be “perfect” for MacKinnon to start as the team’s third line center in 2013-14 because it would take a bit of the pressure off of him.

Of course, the big question mark is if the Avalanche are bluffing. After all, Seth Jones has the potential to develop into a top-tier defenseman and those are hard to come by.

The Tampa Bay Lightning hold the third overall pick and aren’t sure what the Avalanche will end up doing.

“I think it’s smart of (Sakic) putting up a little controversy to get conversation going and people thinking,” Lightning head amateur scout Darryl Plandowski said. “I saw one comment where someone said, ‘That’s a big smokescreen,’ and that might be.”

The draft will be held on Sunday.

Kassian sent to hospital after being involved in car accident

Scott Darling, Zack Kassian

Montreal Canadiens winger Zack Kassian was involved in a car accident early Sunday morning.

According to the Montreal Gazette, Kassian was a passenger in a vehicle that ran into a tree.

The Canadiens have since confirmed the incident took place and have also mentioned that Kassian was taken to hospital.

A club official described his injuries as being “minor”.

“(Kassian) was all bloodied up and stuff. He was in a daze,” said Steve Petrenko, a resident of the street on which the accident took place. “He had a hard time walking, and he almost took a fall.”

This story will be updated when more information is made available.

Habs and Fleischmann agree on one-year deal

Tomas Fleischmann,
1 Comment

The Montreal Canadiens announced that they have signed Tomas Fleischmann to a one-year contract.

According to TVA Sports, the deal is worth $750,000.

The 31-year-old was invited to camp on a professional tryout, but his preseason performance showed that he could still contribute at the NHL level.

Fleischmann found instant chemistry with new linemates David Desharnais and Dale Weise, and it looks like the trio will open the regular season as Montreal’s third line.

The veteran winger started  last season with Florida, but was traded to Anaheim on Feb. 28. He had a hard time cracking the Duck’s lineup and was a healthy scratch in most of their playoff games last spring.

Fleischmann scored eight goals and 27 points in 66 games last season.