Rask registers signature Stanley Cup Final victory


For as badly as Boston was outplayed in the opening period of its 2-1 OT win on Saturday night, the Bruins probably had the best player on the ice — Tuukka Rask.

The B’s goalie was outstanding. He allowed just one goal on 19 shots — Boston was outshot by 15 in the frame — and maintained composure even though he knew his team was under siege.

“We definitely were in survival mode there for a bit.,” he said. “It looked like they had more guys out there than we did.”

It was a signature victory for Rask, though he’s had at least one already this postseason. His 53-save OT stunner against Pittsburgh in Game 3 of the Eastern Conference finals comes to mind.

Game 2, though, was different. The stakes were higher, and the disparity in play was alarming.

The Bruins came out remarkably flat and could’ve been heading back to Boston down 0-2 in the series had the first period turned out differently. Patrick Sharp and Marian Hossa alone combined for 11 shots, and it felt as though Chicago was going for the kill.

But the ‘Hawks couldn’t do it, and Rask was the reason why.

“Tuukka pointed out that was a pretty terrible period by our team,” Chris Kelly explained. “If it wasn’t for Tuukka, it would have been a lot worse.”

Like almost anything Rask does, this win will be compared to what Tim Thomas did in the 2011 Stanley Cup final.

But…was this win more impressive than any of Thomas’?

While Thomas was dominant throughout the ’11 series, he never stymied the Canucks while the Bruins were struggling. His wins all came in blowouts — 8-1, 4-0, 5-2, 4-0 — and Boston was never out-shot by more than eight in a single period.

All told, Rask finished with 33 saves on Saturday and played a huge role in wrestling home ice away from Chicago.

Three more performances like that, and he’ll have an entire library of signature wins.

Sens demote former first-rounder Puempel

Matt Puempel
Leave a comment

Looks like Matt Puempel won’t be making the leap after all.

Puempel, the subject of Ottawa’s “looking to make the leap” profile during our Team of the Day series, has been sent down to AHL Binghamton one day prior to the Sens’ opener against Buffalo.

Puempel, taken by Ottawa in the first round (24th overall) at the ’11 draft, made his big-league debut last season and looked as though he’d stick around — only to suffer a high ankle sprain after 13 games, and miss the rest of the season.

The 22-year-old came into this year’s camp looking to secure a full-time position at the big league level, but was beaten out by Shane Prince for the final forward spot on the roster.

To be fair, contract status probably played a role. Prince would’ve had to clear waivers to get down to Bingo, whereas Puempel didn’t.

A former 30-goal scorer in the American League, Puempel is expected to get another look with Ottawa this season.

Report: Torres won’t appeal 41-game suspension


Sounds like Raffi Torres is accepting his punishment.

Per Sportsnet, Torres won’t appeal his 41-game suspension for an illegal hit to the head of Anaheim’s Jakob Silfverberg.

The report comes just days after the NHL’s Department of Player Safety levied one of the longest disciplinary rulings in league history, citing both the severity of the Silfverberg hit and Torres’ lengthy history of suspensions, fines and warnings.

There was some thought, however, that Torres would try to challenge the ruling.


He does have a history of success in that department. In 2012,Torres successfully appealed his suspension for a headshot on Chicago’s Marian Hossa, and had his punishment reduced from 25 games to 21.

Torres also isn’t considered a “repeat offender” under the current collective bargaining agreement, as his last suspension came in 2013.

Of course, part of that clean record is due to the fact he hasn’t played much. Torres has largely been sidelined by injury for the last two seasons, missing all of last year with knee problems.

Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman delved further into the repeat offender thing in his latest 30 Thoughts column:

If you read the relevant sections of the CBA, the league takes the position that the repeat offender status is only applicable to fines. Repeaters are fined on a per-game basis, non-repeaters on a per-day basis. (The former is more expensive, because there are fewer games than days in an NHL season.) However, if you go to Section 18.2, among the factors taken into account are, “the status of the offender and, specifically, whether the Player has a history of being subject to Supplementary Discipline for On-Ice Conduct.”

So, in the NHL’s view, a player’s history is relevant, even if longer than 18 months ago.

Should the report prove accurate and Torres doesn’t appeal, he will be eligible to return to action on Jan. 14, when the Sharks take on the Oilers.