The Pittsburgh Penguins are looking to sign Evgeni Malkin to a long-term contract, according to a report in the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.
According to the report, general manager Ray Shero will begin negotiating with Malkin’s agent, J.P. Barry, this week.
Malkin, the Penguins’ first-round pick, second overall, in the 2004 NHL Entry Draft, has 217 goals and 560 points in 458 career regular season games for Pittsburgh.
Malkin’s name has recently been linked to trade talk, as the Penguins faded in the Eastern Conference final and were eventually swept by the Boston Bruins.
Malkin is set to enter the final year of a five-year, $43.5 million contract, according to Capgeek.com, and has a no-movement clause that kicks in for the 2013-14 season.
This news comes on the same as talk about Pascal Dupuis and his future with the Penguins.
Dupuis is an unrestricted free agent this summer, but said, “Obviously, I want to stay a Pittsburgh Penguin.
“I’ve said before, my wife and my kids love it around here. I have friends away from the hockey world that I want to be part of their life still.”
Following his stunning 41-game suspension, it looks like Raffi Torres has at least one former teammate in his corner.
We haven’t yet seen how the San Jose Sharks or the NHLPA are reacting to the league’s hammer-dropping decision to punish Torres for his Torres-like hit on Jakob Silfverberg, but Jason Demers decided to put in a good word for Torres tonight.
It was a simple message: “#FreeTorres.”
Demers, now of the Dallas Stars, was once with Torres and the Sharks. (In case this post’s main image didn’t make that clear enough already.)
Perhaps this will become “a thing” at some point.
So far, it seems like it’s instead “a thing (that people are making fun of).”
… You get the idea.
The bottom line is that there are some who either a) blindly support Torres because they’re Sharks fans or b) simply think that the punishment was excessive.
The most important statement came from the Department of Player Safety, though.
Those who feel as though the Boston Bruins may rebound – John Tortorella, maybe? – likely rest some of their optimism on the back of a healthy Zdeno Chara.
It’s possible that he’s merely limping into what may otherwise be a healthy 2015-16 season, but it’s definitely looking like a slow start thanks to a lower-body injury.
The latest sign of a bumpy beginning came on Monday, as several onlookers (including CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty) pointed out that Chara was listed on injured reserve.
As Haggerty notes, that move is retroactive to Sept. 24, so his status really just opens up options for the Bruins.
Still … it’s a little unsettling, isn’t it?
The Bruins likely realize that they need to transition away from their generational behemoth, but last season provided a stark suggestion that may not be ready yet. Trading Dougie Hamilton and losing Dennis Seidenberg to injury only make them more dependent on the towering 38-year-old.
This isn’t really something to panic about, yet it might leave a few extra seats open on the Bruins’ bandwagon.