Roy pledges to bring ‘Stanley Cup attitude’ back to Avs

2 Comments

Ten years to the day after he announced his retirement from the NHL, Patrick Roy was back at the Pepsi Center being introduced as the new head coach and vice president of hockey operations for the Colorado Avalanche.

Roy — seated beside Avs president Josh Kroenke and former teammate Joe Sakic, now the executive vice president of hockey operations — spoke Tuesday about bringing a “Stanley Cup attitude” back to the organization that’s fallen on hard times since its glory years in the late 1990s and early 2000s.

Roy acknowledged that a championship may not happen right away, but that doesn’t mean immediate steps towards improvement can’t be taken.

“Results are one thing, but you want to see a group…that’s going to work hard every night,” Roy said, noting that the Avs fans he’s spoken to have told him they want more accountability from the team.

Roy, 47, has spent the last eight seasons as head coach and general manager of the Quebec Remparts in the QMJHL. However, he’s not overly concerned about going from coaching teenagers to coaching the world’s best players, as he says he prepared his junior team much the same way he prepared himself during his Hall of Fame career in the NHL.

Addressing the Avs fanbase, Roy promised to “bring the same passion” to his new role as he did as a player.

“I don’t know how long this ride is going to be, but I’m going to enjoy every minute,” he said.

As for ownership’s financial commitment to winning — something that’s been called into question the past few years as the team’s payroll has sat among the lowest in the league  — Roy said his goal, while working alongside Sakic, is to help turn the Avs into a club like the Pittsburgh Penguins, which veteran players like Jarome Iginla want to join in order to win a Stanley Cup. Then, ownership can show its commitment.

But there’s lots of work to be done before the Avs get to that point.

“I think my number one quality is I’m not afraid to put in the time,” Roy said. “Am I going to be perfect? No, I’m not going to be perfect.”

Whatever happens, it’s going to be interesting.

Related: Here’s why Avs fans should be optimistic

Announcing the Hobey Hat Trick: Aston-Reese, Butcher, Vecchione

Getty
Leave a comment

Northeastern’s Zach Aston-Reese, Denver’s Will Butcher, and Union’s Mike Vecchione are the three finalists for the Hobey Baker Award.

Aston-Reese, a 22-year-old forward, had 31 goals and 32 assists in 38 games this season. Undrafted, he signed with the Pittsburgh Penguins earlier this month.

Butcher, a 22-year-old defenseman, had seven goals and 29 assists in 41 games for the Frozen Four-headed Pioneers. A fifth-round pick of the Avalanche in 2013, Butcher is still unsigned and is eligible to become an unrestricted free agent Aug. 15. It remains to be seen if the Avs will offer him a contract, though it’s been reported they will.

Vecchione, a 24-year-old forward, had 29 goals and 34 assists in 38 games. Undrafted, he’s expected to sign with an NHL team shortly — possibly the Flyers or Wild.

Jimmy Vesey, Jack Eichel, and Johnny Gaudreau were the Hobey Baker winners in each of the last three years.

After 12-game absence, Boychuk back for Isles

Getty
Leave a comment

The New York Islanders, four points back of the final wild card spot in the Eastern Conference and having lost their last two games, will get a huge boost tonight on the blueline.

Johnny Boychuk, who’s missed the last 12 games with a lower-body injury, will return to the lineup on Thursday when the Isles take on the Flyers in Philadelphia. It’ll mark the first time the veteran defenseman has played since getting hurt back on Mar. 3.

(Boychuk draws in at the expense of Thomas Hickey, who’ll sit tonight.)

Needless to say, this is a massive addition for the Isles. Boychuk was averaging close to 21 minutes per night and had 21 points through 59 games before his injury, and led all New York defensemen in shots on goal.

The Isles are going to be an interesting team to watch down the stretch. It’s tough sledding, with five of their final seven contests being played on the road, though that’s mitigated by the fact they’re playing a bunch of teams outside of the playoff picture (Philly, New Jersey x2, Buffalo and Carolina).

McAvoy has the talent to improve Bruins right now

Getty
Leave a comment

Charlie McAvoy could be in the Providence Bruins’ lineup as soon as Friday against Albany.

Providence also plays Saturday and Sunday, so even if it’s not Friday, the 19-year-old defenseman is expected to get his first taste of pro hockey sometime this weekend.

Of course, the real question is when his Boston Bruins debut may occur.

“He has the attributes to be able to play NHL games right now, absolutely,” said Bruins GM Don Sweeney, per the Providence Journal. 

McAvoy has yet to ink an NHL contract. He’s in Providence on an amateur tryout after making the decision to leave Boston University. If he plays an NHL game this season, the first year of the three-year entry-level contract he’ll sign would be burned.

Hence, Sweeney’s desire to see McAvoy in the AHL before making any decisions.

“This gives an opportunity for him, first and foremost, to get a chance to play professional games, which is another level for him. [We’ll] evaluate from there,” said Sweeney.

It’s certainly possible, given McAvoy’s talent, that he could help the NHL Bruins right now. The bar is essentially Kevan Miller, Boston’s third-pairing defenseman on the right side. (If McAvoy were a left shot, the bar would be slightly lower, with all due respect to John-Michael Liles.)

The NHL Bruins, who’ve yet to book a playoff spot, have six games left in their regular season. They host Dallas tonight, Florida Saturday, and then they’re in Chicago Sunday.

Assuming McAvoy stays with Providence all weekend, his first real chance to get into an NHL game would be Tuesday against Tampa Bay.

Stay tuned.

Read more: Bruins will leave door ajar for McAvoy

Extension talks on hold between Radulov, Habs

Getty
Leave a comment

Here’s what Alex Radulov wants you to know about his contract negotiations with Montreal.

No, he did not ask for an eight-year extension.

Yes, he and the club had preliminary talks about a new deal.

No, those talks aren’t still going on.

From Sportsnet:

Radulov, who has 16 goals and 49 points in 71 games, told Sportsnet negotiations on a new deal between himself and the team are currently on hold, and that while there had been previous talks, they never got to the stage where a formal offer was presented by the club.

“When it happens, I’m sure you guys will be the first to know,” he said.

The topic of Radulov’s extension came to the forefront about two weeks ago, when a report from TSN 690 in Montreal claimed he asked for an eight-year extension from the Habs.

TSN’s Insider Trading panel then discussed the report later that same evening, adding to the fire.

Radulov quickly, and emphatically, shot down the report.

“It’s not even close, what they saying,” he said, per TSN’s John Lu. “I don’t even know how this — I just don’t even want to discuss that because it’s nothing I can really control.”

Radulov, who turns 31 in July, returned to the NHL this year after four-year stint with KHL powerhouse CSKA Moscow. The Habs rewarded him handsomely for coming back — one year, $5.75 million — and Radulov has responded, emerging as one of the club’s top offensive performers.

He’s also been lauded for his passionate play and become one of Montreal’s most dependable forwards. Radulov’s averaging over 18 minutes a night, and trails only captain Max Pacioretty in terms of scoring.