Gary Bettman, Bill Daly

Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week


It appears a significant step in the Phoenix Coyotes ownership situation will soon be taken.

According to Glendale Mayor Jerry Weiers, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman has scheduled meetings with him and city council members on Tuesday morning, where it’s expected Bettman will lay out an ownership plan for the Coyotes.

It’s believed the Renaissance Sports and Entertainment group — led by Canadian businessman George Gosbee — has secured the league’s approval, according to Fox Sports Arizona’s Craig Morgan.

Weiers said the fact Bettman approached him and city council means there’s some sort of development on the ownership front.

“If he’s doing what I asked him to do, which is to not bring us anything unless he had it 100 percent ready to go, if he thinks they’re ready to go, we’ll see what they’ve got to propose,” Weiers told The Arizona Republic.

Bettman, Daly and RSE will reportedly meet with Weiers, then hold two separate meetings, each to be attended by three Glendale councilmembers.

The Coyotes had already scheduled a Tuesday presser to announce an extension for GM Don Maloney (see below) but, when reached by the Republic on Friday, NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly said “other than Don Maloney’s new contract, we have nothing new to report on the Coyotes.”

In late April, Daly confirmed the league was currently in discussions with the Gosbee group — a group that, according to Paul Gilbin of the Arizona Republic, includes three other business executives (Anthony LeBlanc, Avik Dey and Daryl Jones) working under the name Renaissance Sports and Entertainment.

“There’s no doubt we’re dealing with Mr. Gosbee and Mr. LeBlanc and trying to work through and get to a deal with them,” Daly told Sportsnet’s Hockey Central (by way of AZ Central). “But there are other interested people that we’re working with at the same time, as well.”

Word of Tuesday’s announcement has spread quickly throughout the league.

On Friday evening, Andi Petrillo of CBC’s Hockey Night in Canada tweeted rumors that the league was going to announce new Coyotes ownership on Tuesday, and that the Gosbee group was the front-runner.

There have been other signs as well.

On Friday, the Coyotes locked up Maloney to a “long-term contract,” which was announced with this statement from Daly:

“Since joining the team in 2007, Don has done an outstanding job managing his team and building a competitive roster that has produced on the ice, even given less than ideal circumstances off the ice.

“The NHL remains committed to securing the Coyotes’ future in Glendale under new ownership, and we believe Don’s long-term agreement evidences that he is equally committed.”

It must be noted that just because the NHL may have selected a purchaser, doesn’t mean a deal is done.

As Morgan notes, “the plan was for the NHL to choose one buyer before meeting with Glendale. That is exactly what has happened.”

Hurdles would still remain, including reaching an arena management deal with the city of Glendale.

(For more on Arena operating costs, click here.)

Jason Demers tweets #FreeTorres, gets mocked

Los Angeles Kings v San Jose Sharks - Game One

Following his stunning 41-game suspension, it looks like Raffi Torres has at least one former teammate in his corner.

We haven’t yet seen how the San Jose Sharks or the NHLPA are reacting to the league’s hammer-dropping decision to punish Torres for his Torres-like hit on Jakob Silfverberg, but Jason Demers decided to put in a good word for Torres tonight.

It was a simple message: “#FreeTorres.”

Demers, now of the Dallas Stars, was once with Torres and the Sharks. (In case this post’s main image didn’t make that clear enough already.)

Perhaps this will become “a thing” at some point.

So far, it seems like it’s instead “a thing (that people are making fun of).”

… You get the idea.

The bottom line is that there are some who either a) blindly support Torres because they’re Sharks fans or b) simply think that the punishment was excessive.

The most important statement came from the Department of Player Safety, though.

Bruins list Chara on IR, for now

Zdeno Chara

Those who feel as though the Boston Bruins may rebound – John Tortorella, maybe? – likely rest some of their optimism on the back of a healthy Zdeno Chara.

It’s possible that he’s merely limping into what may otherwise be a healthy 2015-16 season, but it’s definitely looking like a slow start thanks to a lower-body injury.

The latest sign of a bumpy beginning came on Monday, as several onlookers (including’s Joe Haggerty) pointed out that Chara was listed on injured reserve.

As Haggerty notes, that move is retroactive to Sept. 24, so his status really just opens up options for the Bruins.

Still … it’s a little unsettling, isn’t it?

The Bruins likely realize that they need to transition away from their generational behemoth, but last season provided a stark suggestion that may not be ready yet. Trading Dougie Hamilton and losing Dennis Seidenberg to injury only make them more dependent on the towering 38-year-old.

This isn’t really something to panic about, yet it might leave a few extra seats open on the Bruins’ bandwagon.