Alexander Burmistrov

Report: Burmistrov wants out of Winnipeg


Alex Burmistrov, the eighth overall pick at the 2010 NHL Entry Draft, does not want to re-sign with the Winnipeg Jets upon becoming a restricted free agent in July — this according to a report in Wednesday’s Winnipeg Free Press.

Here’s more, from the Free Press’ Gary Lawless:

Burmistrov wished to be dealt at the trade deadline and the Jets worked in vain to move him. It appears a trade is still the preferred course of action.

Burmistrov and head coach Claude Noel beefed on and off over the past two seasons and the relationship hit an all-time low when the player was a healthy scratch four straight games in March.

The Jets attempted to trade Burmistrov and reportedly had discussions with the Ottawa Senators, Buffalo Sabres and New York Islanders at the deadline. The names Jakob Silfverberg, Drew Stafford and Kyle Okposo have all been attached to Burmistrov trade rumours.

Burmistrov’s a tantalizing talent that had a solid first year with the Jets in 2011-12 upon the move from Atlanta — as a 20-year-old, he scored 13G-15A-28PTS in 76 games.

But for all his offensive prowess, he’s come under scrutiny for his defensive game and overall two-way play.

Burmistrov’s in the final year of a three-year, $2.7 million contract that carried an annual cap hit of $1.5 million with performance and signing bonuses. Lawless reports the Jets must offer a five percent increase to his $810,000 base salary to retain his RFA negotiating rights, a deal Burmistrov is expected to reject.

From there, a situation will develop where the Jets would either seek to move Burmistrov in a trade, or see if another NHL club will make him an offer sheet.

The Free Press reached out to Burmistrov’s agent, Mark Gandler, who would only shoot down a possible third option — playing in Russia.

“The only question I’m going to answer is to say that Alex is not going to sign in the KHL,” Gandler said.

Torres suspended pending hearing

Raffi Torres, Cory Schneider
1 Comment

According to TSN’s Darren Dreger, Raffi Torres has been suspended pending his disciplinary hearing with the league for his hit on Ducks forward Jakob Silfverberg.

Torres was assessed a match penalty for targeting Silfverberg’s head on Saturday night.

The 33-year-old missed all of last season with a knee injury, and it looks like the start of his regular season will be delayed once again.

Head coach Bruce Boudreau said that Silfverberg could have come back into the game, but he was held out for precautionary reasons.

Ducks center Ryan Kesler didn’t hide his feelings after the contest.

“(Torres) is the same player every year,” Kesler told reporters. “He needs to learn how to hit. That has no part in our game anymore.”

Oilers place Scrivens on waivers

Jordan Martinook, Ben Scrivens
1 Comment

The Edmonton Oilers placed Ben Scrivens on waivers on Sunday.

Should he go unclaimed, the 29-year-old will be sent to the American Hockey League.

It looks like Edmonton will enter the regular season with Cam Talbot and Anders Nilsson as their goaltenders.

Scrivens was the team’s number one goalie last year, but his overall numbers were among the worst for starting goaltenders in the NHL.

He had a 15-26-11 record with a 3.16 goals-against-average and a .890 save percentage in 57 games last season.

Scrivens is scheduled to make $2.3 million in the final year of his contract.

If he does end up in the AHL, the Oilers will carry $1.35 million of dead money on the salary cap.

The move comes one day after Edmonton placed Nikita Nikitin on waivers.

The 29-year-old officially cleared on Sunday afternoon.