Ryane Clowe #29 of the New York Rangers skates during warm ups before the game against the Pittsburgh Penguins at Consol Energy Center on April 5, 2013 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
(April 4, 2013 - Source: Justin K. Aller/Getty Images North America)

Clowe takes step forward, Powe misses practice


Rangers forward Ryane Clowe (undisclosed) missed his fourth consecutive game on Monday despite some initial optimism. However, he had a good practice on Tuesday, which might lead to his return for Game 4 on Wednesday.

The 30-year-old, who is believed to be recovering from a concussion, isn’t about to make any predictions.

“I want to make sure I’m in, I’m all in when I do go in,” Clowe told NHL.com. “I’d like to be able to tell you guys more, but it’s just day-to-day how I feel. I did some battle stuff today and I felt pretty good.”

Meanwhile Rangers forward Darroll Powe couldn’t practice on Tuesday due to an undisclosed injury. The Rangers haven’t updated his status, but Powe’s injury might force the Rangers to make a lineup change on Wednesday regardless of whether or not Clowe is an option.

The Washington Capitals have a 2-1 series lead going into tomorrow’s contest.

Torres suspended pending hearing

Raffi Torres, Cory Schneider
Leave a comment

According to TSN’s Darren Dreger, Raffi Torres has been suspended pending his disciplinary hearing with the league for his hit on Ducks forward Jakob Silfverberg.

Torres was assessed a match penalty for targeting Silfverberg’s head on Saturday night.

The 33-year-old missed all of last season with a knee injury, and it looks like the start of his regular season will be delayed once again.

Head coach Bruce Boudreau said that Silfverberg could have come back into the game, but he was held out for precautionary reasons.

Ducks center Ryan Kesler didn’t hide his feelings after the contest.

“(Torres) is the same player every year,” Kesler told reporters. “He needs to learn how to hit. That has no part in our game anymore.”



Oilers place Scrivens on waivers

Jordan Martinook, Ben Scrivens
Leave a comment

The Edmonton Oilers placed Ben Scrivens on waivers on Sunday.

Should he go unclaimed, the 29-year-old will be sent to the American Hockey League.

It looks like Edmonton will enter the regular season with Cam Talbot and Anders Nilsson as their goaltenders.

Scrivens was the team’s number one goalie last year, but his overall numbers were among the worst for starting goaltenders in the NHL.

He had a 15-26-11 record with a 3.16 goals-against-average and a .890 save percentage in 57 games last season.

Scrivens is scheduled to make $2.3 million in the final year of his contract.

If he does end up in the AHL, the Oilers will carry $1.35 million of dead money on the salary cap.

The move comes one day after Edmonton placed Nikita Nikitin on waivers.

The 29-year-old officially cleared on Sunday afternoon.