John Tortorella

Torts still happy with Rangers, despite 0-2 series deficit


On Friday, the day after the Rangers lost Game 1 of their first-round series to the Capitals, New York head coach John Tortorella said he was generally pleased with the way his team had played, despite the 3-1 loss.

Today, prior to Game 3 at Madison Square Garden, and two days after the Rangers lost Game 2 — this time, it was a 1-0 overtime defeat — his message was similar.

“I think a big part of coaching is addressing your team and how they played, not what the result was,” said Tortorella, per The Star-Ledger.

“It’s a game of results, there is no question about that, but I can’t go about the process of coaching a hockey team on what the result was.”

Tortorella added: “Playoff series is momentums within the game. What if Rick Nash scores his goal in the third period there off the post, another inch? It changes.”

New York isn’t the only NHL city lamenting what-ifs.

What if Jannik Hansen hadn’t missed the empty net by inches in Game 2 of the Vancouver-San Jose series?

That’s the playoffs though. Look back at any Stanley Cup champion’s run and you’ll see a handful of what-ifs that went its way. A post here, a bounce there. There’s no rule saying luck has to even out over the course of a series.

But unlucky or not, the Rangers need a win tonight or they’re in big trouble.

Sens demote former first-rounder Puempel

Matt Puempel
Leave a comment

Looks like Matt Puempel won’t be making the leap after all.

Puempel, the subject of Ottawa’s “looking to make the leap” profile during our Team of the Day series, has been sent down to AHL Binghamton one day prior to the Sens’ opener against Buffalo.

Puempel, taken by Ottawa in the first round (24th overall) at the ’11 draft, made his big-league debut last season and looked as though he’d stick around — only to suffer a high ankle sprain after 13 games, and miss the rest of the season.

The 22-year-old came into this year’s camp looking to secure a full-time position at the big league level, but was beaten out by Shane Prince for the final forward spot on the roster.

To be fair, contract status probably played a role. Prince would’ve had to clear waivers to get down to Bingo, whereas Puempel didn’t.

A former 30-goal scorer in the American League, Puempel is expected to get another look with Ottawa this season.

Report: Torres won’t appeal 41-game suspension


Sounds like Raffi Torres is accepting his punishment.

Per Sportsnet, Torres won’t appeal his 41-game suspension for an illegal hit to the head of Anaheim’s Jakob Silfverberg.

The report comes just days after the NHL’s Department of Player Safety levied one of the longest disciplinary rulings in league history, citing both the severity of the Silfverberg hit and Torres’ lengthy history of suspensions, fines and warnings.

There was some thought, however, that Torres would try to challenge the ruling.


He does have a history of success in that department. In 2012,Torres successfully appealed his suspension for a headshot on Chicago’s Marian Hossa, and had his punishment reduced from 25 games to 21.

Torres also isn’t considered a “repeat offender” under the current collective bargaining agreement, as his last suspension came in 2013.

Of course, part of that clean record is due to the fact he hasn’t played much. Torres has largely been sidelined by injury for the last two seasons, missing all of last year with knee problems.

Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman delved further into the repeat offender thing in his latest 30 Thoughts column:

If you read the relevant sections of the CBA, the league takes the position that the repeat offender status is only applicable to fines. Repeaters are fined on a per-game basis, non-repeaters on a per-day basis. (The former is more expensive, because there are fewer games than days in an NHL season.) However, if you go to Section 18.2, among the factors taken into account are, “the status of the offender and, specifically, whether the Player has a history of being subject to Supplementary Discipline for On-Ice Conduct.”

So, in the NHL’s view, a player’s history is relevant, even if longer than 18 months ago.

Should the report prove accurate and Torres doesn’t appeal, he will be eligible to return to action on Jan. 14, when the Sharks take on the Oilers.