Nothing like a little bit of drama to start the playoffs. Chicago beat Minnesota 2-1 in overtime to take Game 1 of their first-round series thanks to a Bryan Bickell super deke-out goal that beat Josh Harding. Chicago avoids potential disaster by taking a 1-0 series lead.
Here are your Game 1 talking points:
- Who doesn’t love playoff overtime? This one just edged out the Blues-Kings game for first OT game of the playoffs.
- Josh Harding gets the sudden start thanks to Niklas Backstrom’s injury.
- But seriously, how much did he stand on his head to keep the Hawks at bay?
- Power play? What’s that? Minnesota sure didn’t know what it was. Chicago sure knew though as their lone goal in regulation came on it.
- Marian Hossa looked like a man possessed at times out there. His power play goal snapshot was a beauty.
- After Harding’s stellar play, do the Wild stress out over Backstrom’s health for Game 2?
- If the Wild want to have an easier time of things, spending a bit more time in the Chicago end of the ice would help. Getting outshot 37-27 won’t cut it every game.
- How much do the Wild rely on Ryan Suter? He only had 41:08 time on ice tonight. That’s all.
- Minnesota didn’t have much offense, but Jason Zucker impressed with his effort.
- Anyone seen Zach Parise? Anyone? Bueller?