Ryan Miller

Miller puts Buffalo townhouse up for sale


There’s plenty of uncertainty regarding Ryan Miller’s future in Buffalo as the veteran netminder preps for his 500th career game tonight.

Like, for instance, where he’ll live.

The Buffalo News is reporting Miller’s put his townhouse up for sale, which he purchased in 2006 — a few months before signing a three-year, $8 million extension with the Sabres.

(That contract took Miller to 2009, when he signed a five-year, $31.25 million extension with the Sabres. That deal is set to expire in 2014.)

To put the real estate transaction in context, here’s more from the News:

Though the sale can be taken as a sign Miller believes his time in Buffalo is up, it should also be noted he does not spend his offseasons in Western New York — and the Sabres are set for another long offseason.

He used to go back to his native Michigan for summers, but he now lives with his wife [actress Noureen DeWulf] in California.

Much has been made of whether or not Miller will be back with the Sabres next year, especially after last week’s ugly 8-4 loss to the Rangers that eliminated Buffalo from playoff contention.

Miller gave booing Sabres fans a sarcastic wave before getting yanked from the contest, though he later said it wasn’t a “screw you” gesture, but rather a sign he recognized their frustrations.

“Some people were giving me some grief, and I just picked my hand up like, ‘OK, I hear ya,’” Miller told the Buffalo News. “It wasn’t a screw you. It wasn’t a, ‘I hate you guys.’ It was, ‘You know, I hear ya. Enough. I get it.’

“Just let me try and do what I’ve got to do.”

Prior to that loss, the 30-year-old netminder has already been subjected to a season’s worth of frustration, trade speculation and questions about his future.

Jason Demers tweets #FreeTorres, gets mocked

Los Angeles Kings v San Jose Sharks - Game One

Following his stunning 41-game suspension, it looks like Raffi Torres has at least one former teammate in his corner.

We haven’t yet seen how the San Jose Sharks or the NHLPA are reacting to the league’s hammer-dropping decision to punish Torres for his Torres-like hit on Jakob Silfverberg, but Jason Demers decided to put in a good word for Torres tonight.

It was a simple message: “#FreeTorres.”

Demers, now of the Dallas Stars, was once with Torres and the Sharks. (In case this post’s main image didn’t make that clear enough already.)

Perhaps this will become “a thing” at some point.

So far, it seems like it’s instead “a thing (that people are making fun of).”

… You get the idea.

The bottom line is that there are some who either a) blindly support Torres because they’re Sharks fans or b) simply think that the punishment was excessive.

The most important statement came from the Department of Player Safety, though.

Bruins list Chara on IR, for now

Zdeno Chara

Those who feel as though the Boston Bruins may rebound – John Tortorella, maybe? – likely rest some of their optimism on the back of a healthy Zdeno Chara.

It’s possible that he’s merely limping into what may otherwise be a healthy 2015-16 season, but it’s definitely looking like a slow start thanks to a lower-body injury.

The latest sign of a bumpy beginning came on Monday, as several onlookers (including CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty) pointed out that Chara was listed on injured reserve.

As Haggerty notes, that move is retroactive to Sept. 24, so his status really just opens up options for the Bruins.

Still … it’s a little unsettling, isn’t it?

The Bruins likely realize that they need to transition away from their generational behemoth, but last season provided a stark suggestion that may not be ready yet. Trading Dougie Hamilton and losing Dennis Seidenberg to injury only make them more dependent on the towering 38-year-old.

This isn’t really something to panic about, yet it might leave a few extra seats open on the Bruins’ bandwagon.