NHL on NBCSN: Red Wings struggle to keep postseason streak alive, face Coyotes

13 Comments

NBCSN’s ongoing coverage of the 2013 campaign will continue tonight when the Detroit Red Wings host the Phoenix Coyotes at Joe Louis Arena at 7:30 p.m. ET. In addition to NBCSN, you can also watch the game online.

The last time the Red Wings missed the playoffs, George H. W. Bush was the President of the United States, there were 21 teams in the NHL, and Mark Messier, Patrick Roy, Wayne Gretzky, and Brett Hull were 20-somethings dominating the league.

That’s the streak at stake as we enter the final week of the regular season. The Red Wings have just four games left starting with tonight’s contest against Phoenix.

None of the Red Wings want to be responsible for letting one of the longest postseason appearance streaks in the history of the NHL come to an end.

“If you’re Henrik Zetterberg, and it’s your first year as captain, you don’t want it on your watch,” Red Wings coach Mike Babcock said. “If you’re Mike Babcock, in your eighth year of coaching, you don’t want it on your watch.”

Despite that sentiment, Detroit has won just one of its last six games, although three of those losses were determined by shootouts. The Red Wings’ recent slump has corresponded with the Columbus Blue Jackets’ surge.

Columbus earned a 4-3 victory over San Jose on Sunday, so the eighth place Blue Jackets now have a three-point lead over Detroit, but have played in two extra games. In other words, the Red Wings’ fate is still in their own hands, but the pressure is certainly on.

As for the Coyotes, their chances of making the playoffs are slim, but still alive. They are two points behind the Red Wings, so a win tonight would certainly give the Coyotes’ improbable run more life.

One player to watch on the Coyotes’ side is 31-year-old forward Radim Vrbata. He heated up towards the end of the 2011-12 campaign with five goals in the Coyotes’ final five regular season contests. He might be setting himself up for an encore after finding the back of the net in Phoenix’s last two games.

“He’s shown in the past that when he does get hot, he can score in bunches,” Coyotes coach Dave Tippett told the Arizona Republic.

We’ll see if the Red Wings can turn the weight of their past success into motivation or if the Coyotes can keep their playoff hopes alive.

Probable goaltenders: DET – Jimmy Howard (17-13-7, 2.28 GAA, .919 SV%)| PHX – Mike Smith (14-11-4, 2.57 GAA, .911 SV%)

Top scorers: DET – Pavel Datsyuk (13-28-41, 43 GP) | PHX – Mikkel Boedker (7-18-25, 44 GP)

Notable Injuries:
Detroit – Forwards: Drew Miller (hand), Mikael Samuelsson (upper body), Todd Bertuzzi (leg), Darren Helm (back)
Phoenix – Forwards: Lauri Korpikoski (upper body) Defensemen: Derek Morris (lower body)

‘A good start’ — Stamkos stands out in preseason debut

Getty
Leave a comment

The Tampa Bay Lightning and National Hockey League unveiled the 2018 All-Star Game logo Friday.

Far more importantly for the Bolts this evening was the return of their all-star center Steven Stamkos, as he made his preseason debut in what was his first game in 10 months.

His 2016-17 season was abruptly ended in the middle of November because of a knee injury and subsequent surgery, making it the second time in four years his regular season had been disrupted by a major injury.

It may still take a while before Stamkos feels truly comfortable coming back from this injury.But his performance on Friday proved to be a very promising start for No. 91, the Bolts and their fans in Tampa Bay.

He didn’t score, but he assisted on two first period goals, including a nice set-up to linemate Nikita Kucherov, and the Lightning beat the Nashville Predators by a score of 3-1. Stamkos also received a healthy dose of ice time, playing more than 19 minutes, including 5:32 on the power play.

His pass to Kucherov resulted in a power play goal.

“It was exciting to get out there, I was pretty anxious about it… It was a good start, something to build on,” said Stamkos afterward, per the Lightning. “It was nice to just go through a game day, I haven’t done it in a long time… I was glad with how the first one went.”

Golden Knights assign 2017 first-round picks Glass, Suzuki to junior

Getty
Leave a comment

The Vegas Golden Knights continue to make roster moves during their inaugural training camp.

On Friday, the expansion club assigned four players to junior. That includes 2017 first-round picks Cody Glass of the Portland Winterhawks and Nick Suzuki of the Owen Sound Attack.

The Golden Knights made franchise history by taking Glass with the sixth overall pick and then selected Suzuki at 13th overall. Both players appeared in two preseason games for Vegas, each recording two points in the exhibition opener versus the Vancouver Canucks.

“Nobody is going to rush (the rookies), that’s for sure,” Golden Knights coach Gerard Gallant told the Las Vegas Sun following the club’s 9-4 win over Vancouver on Sunday.

“We are in a position where we want to make sure they are ready to play. They are going to be good players when they’re healthy and strong enough to play in the league.”

Vegas has all three 2017 first-round picks — Glass, Suzuki and Erik Brannstrom — signed to three-year entry-level contracts.

Mitchell signed PTO with Blue Jackets — shortly after getting cut by Blackhawks

AP
Leave a comment

When the Chicago Blackhawks announced their roster moves yesterday, John Mitchell was among the cuts.

His professional tryout with the Blackhawks had come to an end, as it did for veterans Mark Stuart and Drew Miller.

It can be an uphill battle to make an NHL roster for veterans on professional tryouts. But for Mitchell, he quickly received another opportunity to attend a camp and try to land a spot, signing a PTO with the Columbus Blue Jackets.

Mitchell, 32, has appeared in 548 NHL regular season games with 70 goals and 177 points.

Meanwhile, the Blue Jackets are still without forward and restricted free agent Josh Anderson, as the two sides are stuck in a contract impasse right now. It was reported on Thursday that his representatives have been in contact with Hockey Canada about the 2018 Olympics.

Calgary mayor: ‘Errors of omission’ in Flames arena proposal

Getty
4 Comments

On Thursday, the Calgary Flames released a report claiming they were prepared to contribute $275 million for a new arena, with additional funding — in the ball park of $225 million — from a Community Revitalization Levy.

On Friday, Calgary Mayor Naheed Nenshi responded to the proposal and the events of yesterday.

“I wouldn’t say dishonesty. I would, however, say that there are perhaps some errors of omission,” Nenshi told reporters, according to Global Calgary, when asked if there had been a level of dishonesty from the Flames with their proposal.

The Flames not only released a report with financial details to their website, but they also took out ads in local newspapers. Nenshi took issue with the details the Flames released yesterday.

“What was in that ad was not actually what the last deal on the table with the city was,” he said.

“For example, yesterday you saw that the Flames’ owners are claiming that they’re putting $275 million up front. Makes it sound like a (check) is being put on the table. Certainly that has not been discussed. That would’ve really changed things had that been the discussion.

“The discussion, the last I saw, was the Flames were putting $100 million in and the rest would be a ticket tax, which they wanted the city to take out, to get for and to front. I’m not quite sure how that equals the Flames putting in money up front.”

Yesterday, the Flames added in their report that, after two years of discussions with the city about a new arena, they will no longer pursue a new arena in Calgary.

The Flames currently play at the Saddledome, which is now 34 years old.