Torres on Phoenix: ‘It’s too bad this team doesn’t have an owner’

2 Comments

Raffi Torres’ time with the Coyotes wasn’t long, but it certainly was eventful — probably why he looks back on it with fondness and regret.

Torres faced his former club for the first time on Monday as his new team, the San Jose Sharks, beat the Coyotes 4-0.

Afterward, Torres discussed his time in the desert.

“Phoenix was great,” he told the Arizona Republic. “Obviously it was a big disappointment for me when I got suspended last year. I feel like I could have been a big part of the run, although those guys did a great job. That was the toughest part for me.

“It was tough to bounce back from that, and it took me a long time. But overall just great guys and great training staff from the organization. It’s too bad this team doesn’t have an owner.”

All told, Torres appeared in 107 regular season and three playoff games for the Coyotes, totals that would’ve been higher if not for his 21-game suspension for hitting Chicago’s Marian Hossa during last postseason.

One wonders what might’ve been if not for the incident.

With Torres’ two-year, $3.5 million deal expiring this summer, a decision was made to flip the 31-year-old for a third-round pick, despite the fact he was having a productive season with 5G-7A-12PTS in 28 games and the ‘Yotes were in the thick of a playoff chase.

Torres said the club “didn’t want to talk contract,” and added “they’ve got some things over there that they’ve got to deal with.”

Considering the moves Phoenix made at the deadline — flipping pending UFAs Torres, Steve Sullivan (38 years old) and Matthew Lombardi (31) for picks — it could be argued the ‘Yotes hampered their playoff hopes to ensure they got something for players that might’ve walked away for nothing after the season ended.

But in the end, Torres said there were no hard feelings about being dealt.

“It’s a big-business effort from [Phoenix GM] Don [Maloney],” Torres explained. “It is what it is.”

Sabres re-sign Robin Lehner to one-year, $4 million deal

Getty
1 Comment

The Buffalo Sabres avoided salary arbitration with goalie Robin Lehner, as they inked him to a one-year, $4 million contract on Tuesday morning.

Lehner and the Sabres were scheduled to have their hearing on July 27, but that obviously won’t be necessary anymore.

The 26-year-old played a career-high 59 games in 2016-17. He finished the year with a 23-26-8 record, a 2.68 goals-against-average and a .920 save percentage.

There’s no doubt that he’s a talented netminder, but he’s had his share of struggles when it comes to staying healthy and being consistent. Of course, the team in front of him hasn’t been very good either.

Both of Buffalo’s goalies (Lehner and Chad Johnson) will have something to prove this season because they’re both on one-year contracts. When their deals expire next summer, Lehner will be a restricted free agent again, while Johnson will be free to test the market on July 1st.

The Sabres now have just over $10.9 million in cap space with RFAs Zemgus Girgensons, Nathan Beaulieu and Evan Rodrigues still needing new contracts.

A huge extension for Jack Eichel is also on the horizon, but his new salary won’t count on the cap until 2018-19.

PHT Morning Skate: What will Ryan Johansen’s next contract look like?

Getty
Leave a comment

–Hall-of-fame goalie Tony Esposito joined the guys on NHL Tonight to talk about his illustrious career. He talked about being named to the NHL’s Top 100 list, how he was one of the first goalies to use the butterfly style and more. (NHL.com)

–It looks as though NHL players definitely won’t be playing in the next Olympics, which means certain players on AHL contracts could crack their country’s rosters. The Hockey News looks at eight minor leaguers that could find themselves at the next Olympic. Tom Kostopoulos could be an interesting player for Team Canada while Chris Bourque could be an option for the U.S. (The Hockey News)

–Nashville Predators GM David Poile has had a relatively good offseason, but he still needs to figure out a way to get Ryan Johansen under contract. The Score takes a deeper look at what his next contract could potentially look like. Johansen will never be the highest paid skater on his team (P.K. Subban makes $9 million), but second isn’t out of the question (that rank is currently held by Filip Forsberg at $6 million). (The Score)

–BarDown put together an interesting list of seven once popular equipment advancements that aren’t so popular anymore. Anyone remember Curtis Curve goalie sticks or aluminum shafts? (BarDown)

–We all know what a shark is, but why did the original ownership group in San Jose settle on that name for their hockey team? Here’s one of the reasons: “The Red Triangle is (obviously) a triangle-shaped region that spans roughly from north of San Francisco to Big Sur. It hosts seven species of sharks including Great White, Leopard, Mako, Seven-Gill, Blue, Soupfin, and Spiny Dog. Notably, it is home to one highest concentrations of Great White Sharks in the world. With so many sharks in the water, it made sense to put them on ice.” (NHL.com/Sharks)

–Everyone knows Sidney Crosby as an ultra-focused hockey star, but the little things separate him from the rest. Here’s a really cool story about him helping a Canadiens fan:

Canucks avoid arbitration with Boucher, Horvat remains RFA

Getty
1 Comment

The Vancouver Canucks still have some work to do this summer, but at least none of their players will take part in salary arbitration hearings.

After coming to an agreement with Michael Chaput, the Canucks reached a one-year, $687,500 deal with forward Reid Boucher on Monday.

Boucher, 23, has 112 regular-season games under his belt. He spent most of his career (82 of 112 games) with the New Jersey Devils before bouncing to the Nashville Predators (3 games) and then the Canucks (27 games) last season. He averaged a little more than 12 minutes per night with the Canucks, much like with the Devils in 2016-17.

While the arbitration hearings are covered, the Canucks face two lingering RFA situations: Brendan Gaunce, and most importantly, Bo Horvat.

Coyotes sign Langhamer, so only Duclair needs a deal

Getty
Leave a comment

The Arizona Coyotes handed a one-year, two-way contract to goalie Marek Langhamer on Monday.

Langhamer would be paid $660K at the NHL level and $67,500 in the AHL, according to AZ Sports’ Craig Morgan.

Langhamer turned 23 on Saturday. He got about the smallest cup of coffee you could ask for with the Coyotes last season: he appeared in one game for 16 minutes, allowing a goal on eight shots.

It was quite the year for the Czech-born goalie, who played seven games in the ECHL and 25 in the AHL along with that brief NHL appearance. He also played in the AHL and ECHL during the 2015-16 season, so he’s been bouncing around.

As a seventh-rounder (184th overall in 2012), Langhamer likely doesn’t take opportunities for granted.

The netminding situation is interestingly fluid in Arizona. Both Antti Raanta and Louis Domingue stand ahead of Langhamer – at minimum – but those two only have one year remaining on their current deals. If nothing else, there’s likely a “prove it” vibe at multiple levels now that Mike Smith is in Calgary.

With Langhamer settled, the Coyotes only have one RFA left to sign, but it’s a tricky one with forward Anthony Duclair. When it came to Duclair, GM John Chayka kept it pretty vague with the Arizona Republic’s Sarah McLellan.

“We’re still trying to determine the best value for the player and the team moving forward,” Chayka said.