Thursday, the Detroit Red Wings had a one-goal lead, only to lose in a shootout. One point in the bag, another crucial point lost.
Friday saw a similar scenario for the Red Wings, this time the opponent was the Chicago Blackhawks.
The Red Wings held a 2-1 lead into the late stages of the third period, before Jonathan Toews scored with 2:57 remaining to send the game to overtime. the Red Wings ended up losing 3-2 in the shootout.
Two days and two important points lost.
Instead of distancing themselves a little bit from the those chasing them in the standings, the Red Wings remain in striking distance of at least three teams as the battle for playoff spots continues.
The Red Wings still hold down the eighth and final playoff spot, but just barely. They are two points ahead of the Dallas Stars, Phoenix Coyotes and Columbus Blue Jackets. It is very possible the Red Wings do not qualify for the post-season.
The last time that happened was in 1990.
“To me, strange is living in the past,” Wings head coach Mike Babcock told MLive.com. “You are what you are. This is what we earned this year. This is what our team is. We’re no better or no worse than we are. We’re just a team battling to get in the playoffs.
“Win a game, that’s all. To me, we take the same approach we have every year: Try to win games and get better.”
The Los Angeles Kings announced today that they have “reached an agreement with Mike Richards to resolve the grievance filed in relation to the termination of his NHL Standard Players Contract. The terms are agreeable to all parties.”
The club said that it will not be commenting further “on the terms” of the settlement.
The NHLPA released a similar statement.
It was reported earlier in the week that a settlement was close to being reached; however, it wasn’t clear what salary-cap penalties the Kings would incur.
We’re starting to find out some details now:
How the final numbers differ from what the Kings would have incurred if they’d bought Richards out will be interesting to see. And if there are differences, how will they be justified?
Aaron Ward, a 16-year NHL veteran that appeared in over 800 career games, has been arrested for “assault on a female,” per WNCN.
Ward was arrested on Friday in Cary, North Carolina and also charged with interfering with emergency communication, according to the report.
Currently working as an analyst for TSN, Ward spent five years of his career in Carolina, helping the ‘Canes capture the Stanley Cup in 2006.
Update: Per WRAL, Ward’s wife called 9-1-1 after the two had a confrontation around 1 p.m. ET. Police confirmed Ward was arrested at his home in Cary.
According to the warrant for his arrest, he took away his wife’s phone.
Because of the nature of his charges, Ward will spend a mandatory 48 hours in the Wake County jail. Anyone arrested on a domestic violence charge is held for 48 hours before bail is set.
And here’s a statement from TSN: