Pavel Bure

Canucks owner: We plan on retiring Bure’s number


There’s no question that Pavel Bure was a tremendous hockey player, but was his 428-game tenure with the Vancouver Canucks long enough to warrant the team retiring his number?

Bure’s time with the Canucks ended on a sour note with him demanding a trade, but Vancouver fans put that behind them as they gave the retired superstar a standing ovation Thursday night.

That should serve to fuel owner Francesco Aquilini desire to retire his number.

“This is something we’re going to work on and definitely it’s in the plans,” Aquilini said, according to a Vancouver Province report. “We think that Pavel is going to be a great addition to all the members who are retired up there.

“He’s such a great guy and he’s such an exciting player. You could see the fans. The standing ovation went on for at least five minutes.”

Aquilini also defended the way Bure ended his playing career with Vancouver.

“He never had problems with the fans,” Aquilini said. “He had problems with management, but never the fans.”

Bure had back-to-back 60-goal seasons with the Canucks and ended up with a stunning 437 goals in 702 career NHL games.


Igor Larionov: Canucks should retire Bure’s jersey

Jason Demers tweets #FreeTorres, gets mocked

Los Angeles Kings v San Jose Sharks - Game One

Following his stunning 41-game suspension, it looks like Raffi Torres has at least one former teammate in his corner.

We haven’t yet seen how the San Jose Sharks or the NHLPA are reacting to the league’s hammer-dropping decision to punish Torres for his Torres-like hit on Jakob Silfverberg, but Jason Demers decided to put in a good word for Torres tonight.

It was a simple message: “#FreeTorres.”

Demers, now of the Dallas Stars, was once with Torres and the Sharks. (In case this post’s main image didn’t make that clear enough already.)

Perhaps this will become “a thing” at some point.

So far, it seems like it’s instead “a thing (that people are making fun of).”

… You get the idea.

The bottom line is that there are some who either a) blindly support Torres because they’re Sharks fans or b) simply think that the punishment was excessive.

The most important statement came from the Department of Player Safety, though.

Bruins list Chara on IR, for now

Zdeno Chara

Those who feel as though the Boston Bruins may rebound – John Tortorella, maybe? – likely rest some of their optimism on the back of a healthy Zdeno Chara.

It’s possible that he’s merely limping into what may otherwise be a healthy 2015-16 season, but it’s definitely looking like a slow start thanks to a lower-body injury.

The latest sign of a bumpy beginning came on Monday, as several onlookers (including’s Joe Haggerty) pointed out that Chara was listed on injured reserve.

As Haggerty notes, that move is retroactive to Sept. 24, so his status really just opens up options for the Bruins.

Still … it’s a little unsettling, isn’t it?

The Bruins likely realize that they need to transition away from their generational behemoth, but last season provided a stark suggestion that may not be ready yet. Trading Dougie Hamilton and losing Dennis Seidenberg to injury only make them more dependent on the towering 38-year-old.

This isn’t really something to panic about, yet it might leave a few extra seats open on the Bruins’ bandwagon.