Luongo: ‘I was emotional and I said what I said’

22 Comments

If there was a most memorable sound bite from the 2013 NHL trade deadline, there’s no question it was “My contract sucks,” by Roberto Luongo.

Luongo delivered the remark, only half-jokingly, after the Canucks failed in their efforts to trade the veteran goalie. The 34-year-old even said he would “scrap” his 12-year, $64 million deal if he could.

Shortly after, Vancouver general manager Mike Gillis suggested Luongo may not have meant what he said.

“I think that he was very emotional and I think these days are emotional for everybody,” said Gillis.

“So, when you have a day like this where your whole life could be turned upside down, then you speak to you guys (media) right after, I think there’s an opportunity for things to be said that in the clear light of day might not be reflective of how he really feels.”

Today, Luongo addressed his remarks.

“I was emotional and I said what I said,” he said, per the Vancouver Sun’s Elliott Pap.

Luongo will be on the bench again Saturday night versus Calgary as Cory Schneider, fresh off a shutout of the Oilers, gets another start.

Meanwhile, Vancouver hockey fans are still talking about what happened — or rather, what didn’t happen — Wednesday. The big question: Did the Toronto Maple Leafs actually have any intention of taking Luongo, or were the Canucks just strung along as a way for Leafs general manager Dave Nonis to get back at Vancouver GM Mike Gillis?

From The Province:

The tension between Nonis and Gillis, which threatened to blow a couple of times during this process, reached a tipping point on Wednesday in the final hour before the deadline. To that point, the Leafs had been preoccupied with Kiprusoff, the veteran Calgary ‘keeper, who they felt best served their need for an established goalie.

Kiprusoff, however, told the Leafs he wasn’t interested in relocating to Toronto, which threw Nonis and Gillis back together. Actually, it threw together Nonis and Lorne Henning, the Canucks’ assistant general manager, and Henning suggested the Leafs offer young goalie Ben Scrivens and a pair of second-round draft picks as compensation for Luongo.

Nonis, who’s petrified of Luongo’s contract, thought about this, then countered with his own offer: Eat part of Luongo’s contract and we might have something. That proposal was rejected, which you’d think would have ended this chapter of the saga.

You have to know it couldn’t possibly be that easy.

The Canucks are incensed that Nonis introduced this new wrinkle in the 11th hour of the negotiations. They believe this was his payback to Gillis, who succeeded him as the Canucks’ GM in 2008, and owner Francesco Aquilini, who abruptly dismissed Nonis days before hiring Gillis.

It’s not clear when Luongo will be back in goal for the Canucks, who find themselves jockeying with the Minnesota Wild for first place in the Northwest Division. Vancouver hosts Phoenix Monday, but doesn’t have back-to-back games until April 15 and 16 in Nashville and St. Louis, respectively.

Golden Knights assign 2017 first-round picks Glass, Suzuki to junior

Getty
Leave a comment

The Vegas Golden Knights continue to make roster moves during their inaugural training camp.

On Friday, the expansion club assigned four players to junior. That includes 2017 first-round picks Cody Glass of the Portland Winterhawks and Nick Suzuki of the Owen Sound Attack.

The Golden Knights made franchise history by taking Glass with the sixth overall pick and then selected Suzuki at 13th overall. Both players appeared in two preseason games for Vegas, each recording two points in the exhibition opener versus the Vancouver Canucks.

“Nobody is going to rush (the rookies), that’s for sure,” Golden Knights coach Gerard Gallant told the Las Vegas Sun following the club’s 9-4 win over Vancouver on Sunday.

“We are in a position where we want to make sure they are ready to play. They are going to be good players when they’re healthy and strong enough to play in the league.”

Vegas has all three 2017 first-round picks — Glass, Suzuki and Erik Brannstrom — signed to three-year entry-level contracts.

Mitchell signed PTO with Blue Jackets — shortly after getting cut by Blackhawks

AP
Leave a comment

When the Chicago Blackhawks announced their roster moves yesterday, John Mitchell was among the cuts.

His professional tryout with the Blackhawks had come to an end, as it did for veterans Mark Stuart and Drew Miller.

It can be an uphill battle to make an NHL roster for veterans on professional tryouts. But for Mitchell, he quickly received another opportunity to attend a camp and try to land a spot, signing a PTO with the Columbus Blue Jackets.

Mitchell, 32, has appeared in 548 NHL regular season games with 70 goals and 177 points.

Meanwhile, the Blue Jackets are still without forward and restricted free agent Josh Anderson, as the two sides are stuck in a contract impasse right now. It was reported on Thursday that his representatives have been in contact with Hockey Canada about the 2018 Olympics.

Calgary mayor: ‘Errors of omission’ in Flames arena proposal

Getty
3 Comments

On Thursday, the Calgary Flames released a report claiming they were prepared to contribute $275 million for a new arena, with additional funding — in the ball park of $225 million — from a Community Revitalization Levy.

On Friday, Calgary Mayor Naheed Nenshi responded to the proposal and the events of yesterday.

“I wouldn’t say dishonesty. I would, however, say that there are perhaps some errors of omission,” Nenshi told reporters, according to Global Calgary, when asked if there had been a level of dishonesty from the Flames with their proposal.

The Flames not only released a report with financial details to their website, but they also took out ads in local newspapers. Nenshi took issue with the details the Flames released yesterday.

“What was in that ad was not actually what the last deal on the table with the city was,” he said.

“For example, yesterday you saw that the Flames’ owners are claiming that they’re putting $275 million up front. Makes it sound like a (check) is being put on the table. Certainly that has not been discussed. That would’ve really changed things had that been the discussion.

“The discussion, the last I saw, was the Flames were putting $100 million in and the rest would be a ticket tax, which they wanted the city to take out, to get for and to front. I’m not quite sure how that equals the Flames putting in money up front.”

Yesterday, the Flames added in their report that, after two years of discussions with the city about a new arena, they will no longer pursue a new arena in Calgary.

The Flames currently play at the Saddledome, which is now 34 years old.

Report: Skinner among leading candidates for Hurricanes captaincy

Getty
1 Comment

The Carolina Hurricanes went last season without a captain. That will change once training camp is over, and, according to a recent report, Jeff Skinner is one of the prime candidates to possibly wear the ‘C’ for this season.

The Hurricanes selected Skinner seventh overall in 2010. He made an instant impact on the NHL club, scoring 31 goals and 63 points in his rookie season as a teenager. He’s been a valuable offensive weapon for Carolina ever since.

This past season, he scored 37 goals — a career best. Although the consideration to potentially make him the next captain goes beyond his skills around the opposing net.

From NHL.com:

“He’s a passionate guy and he’s a passionate player,” Peters said. “He’s a real good pro in the fact that he looks after himself, he trains properly and the guys have unreal respect for the way he looks after his body. The maturity shows. I know guys bring it up quite a bit.”

To that end, Peters said he was at a staff golf outing prior to the start of training camp with about 16 people, including members of the Hurricanes’ medical and strength training staffs, and he polled as many people about the captaincy candidates as he could.

“[Skinner’s] name came up in the conversation quite a bit, and they bring up that type of stuff, the way he looks after himself and the way he prepares,” Peters said. “He’s passionate about it and he’s hungry to win.”

The Hurricanes have, over the past few years, done a nice job of building a talented young roster that has shown signs of being able to compete in the Eastern Conference. They do, however, play in a difficult Metropolitan Division, which features the Blue Jackets, Penguins, Capitals and Rangers.

The biggest change in Carolina this offseason was in net, with the addition of Scott Darling, who was the capable back-up in Chicago but is now taking over the No. 1 role with the Hurricanes.

Another change is still upcoming. Eric Staal was the captain in Carolina for six years, but the team is expected to soon name a replacement. There are other candidates for the Hurricanes captaincy, as well, like Justin Faulk and Jordan Staal.

“Someone is going to wear one, for sure,” said Peters earlier this month, per TSN. “Our leadership group is fine and we’ve got real good candidates. They’ll all provide leadership whether they wear a letter or not.”