Video: Milbury questions ‘shady’ Iginla trade


NHL on NBC analyst Mike Milbury is skeptical of events that led to last week’s Jarome Iginla-to-Pittsburgh deal.

“It was shady,” Milbury said prior to Tuesday’s Penguins-Sabres game on NBC Sports Network. “There were some things I didn’t like at all about that.

“I think it’s too bad we didn’t find out a lot more about it. [Bruins GM] Peter Chiarelli handled it, I thought, pretty well.”

Here’s the video, which also delves into a discussion of whether or not Boston “settled” for Jaromir Jagr:

This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!

Back to the Iginla deal…

In his latest 30 Thoughts column, CBC’s Elliotte Friedman touched on the subject of tampering — specifically, a “relatively new rule” that players can be equally guilty of tampering as a coach or front office member.

There were rumblings that Penguins captain Sidney Crosby may have reached out to Iginla, his former Team Canada linemate at the Winter Olympics, prior to Pens GM Ray Shero making the deal.

When asked, Iginla made it clear he never actually spoke with Crosby, but did acknowledge No. 87 may have played a role.

Iginla, who was traded to the Penguins on Wednesday night in exchange for college forwards Kenneth Agostino and Ben Hanowski, along with Pittsburgh’s first-round pick in 2013, revealed Crosby had factored in him deciding to join Pittsburgh, adding he couldn’t say no to playing with two superstars.

“There’s some truth to that,” Iginla said, when MacLean asked if Crosby helped sway his decision. “I did hear that Sid — I didn’t talk to him before — but he’d put in a good word and I really enjoyed playing with him at the Olympics and getting the chance to meet him.”

Should note that, also in 30 Thoughts, Friedman explained that trying to prove tampering is very difficult, “unless you have a paper trail.”


Today, Bruins president Cam Neely went on 98.5 The Sports Hub with Michael Felger and Tony Massarotti and was clearly still irritated at how his club lost out on Iginla.

Here’s a snippet:

“We were told we had a deal. What happened from when we were told we had a deal until [Iginla] ended up in Pittsburgh is anybody’s guess.

“When you’re told you have a deal and you hang up the phone and think that you’ve got the player, I don’t know what else you could do.

“When you lose any kind of contact for a period of time and then you start to question what’s going on, and Peter [Chiarelli] does ask to speak with the player or the agent and is not permitted to do so, you start to wonder what’s really happening . . .

“We were told we had a deal done.”

Neely also added that there’s been no contact or conversation between Chiarelli and Flames GM Jay Feaster since the deal went down.


Report: Flames preferred Bruins’ deal, Iginla picked Pens

Chiarelli: We were told we got Iginla

Add Lecavalier to list of expensive Flyers healthy scratches

Vincent Lecavalier
Leave a comment

Are the Philadelphia Flyers aiming for some sort of record when it comes to expensive (potential) healthy scratches?

While lineups are obviously subject to change, CSNPhilly.com notes that Vincent Lecavalier appears to be among a rather rich group of Flyers who are expected to sit during their season-opener.

Also likely to be in street clothes: Sam Gagner and Luke Schenn.

That’s $11.3 million in cap space rotting on the bench, and that’s only counting what the Flyers are paying Gagner.

“I really don’t know what to say,” Lecavalier said. “I’ll practice hard and be ready when they call me up.”

The CSNPhilly.com quotes from Lecavalier, Gagner and Schenn only get sadder from there, a reminder that there are human beings attached to these numbers – whether you focus on disappointing stats or bloated salaries.

Flyers fans with the urge to reach for an Alka-Setzler can at least take some comfort in knowing that the team will see $6.8 million in savings after this season, as both Gagner and Schenn are on expiring deals.

It could be a long season, though, and this Lecavalier headache may not truly end until his contract expires following the 2017-18 campaign.

Video: NHL drops hammer, suspends Torres for 41 games


One of the NHL’s most notorious hitters has been tagged by the league.

On Monday, the Department of Player Safety announced that San Jose forward Raffi Torres has been suspended 41 games — half of the regular season — for an illegal check to the head of Anaheim’s Jakob Silfverberg.

The length of Torres’ suspension is a combination of the Silfverberg hit and Torres’ history of delivering hits to the heads of opposing players, including Jordan Eberle, Jarret Stoll, Nate Prosser and Marian Hossa.

“Torres has repeatedly violated league playing rules,” the Department of Player Safety explained. “And has been sanctioned multiple times for similar infractions.”

The league also noted that Torres has been warned, fined, or suspended on nine occasions over the course of his career, “the majority of which have involved a hit to an opponent’s head.”

“Same player every year,” Ducks forward Ryan Kesler said following the hit on Silfverberg. “I played with the guy [in Vancouver]. He needs to learn how to hit. That has no part in our game anymore.”

As for what lies ahead, things could get interesting upon potential appeal:

Torres successfully appealed a suspension under the previous CBA, getting his punishment for the Hossa hit reduced from 25 to 21 games.

Under terms of the new CBA, Torres isn’t categorized as a repeat offender because his last suspension came in May of 2013 — more than two years ago.

Of course, part of the reason Torres hasn’t run afoul of the league in two years is because he’s barely played.

Knee injuries limited Torres to just 12 games in ’13-14, and he sat out last season entirely.