Ryane Clowe

Clowe ‘all-in’ with Sharks until trade happens


Ryan Clowe sees the writing on the wall.

On Monday, the 30-year-old forward — who has spent his entire eight-year career in San Jose — acknowledged he’s likely to be moved by Wednesday’s trade deadline.

But until something becomes official, his focus is on the Sharks.

“I’m still here. I’m still all-in until I’m gone,” Clowe told CSN Bay Area’s Kevin Kurz. “We’ll see what happens.”

Despite having a down year — just 11 points through 28 games, with zero goals — Clowe is on a number of wish lists.

The 30-year-old’s career body of work has put him in demand. He’s scored 20 goals twice and 15 or more five times. He’s big (6-foot-2, 225 pounds) and plays with a nasty streak, twice racking up over 100 PIM in a season.

The Sharks have already spoken with Clowe about waiving his no-trade clause.

“I’m aware of what’s going on. Obviously, anything that happens with me, has to go through me,” Clowe said on Monday morning. “It’s not bad. Maybe a month ago, at times, you let it get to you because as a player, you’re struggling and not playing the way you want to.

“I’ve kind of put that behind me.”

Several teams appear in on Clowe, though Philadelphia, Montreal, Boston, Vancouver and Minnesota look to be the leading suitors.

More teams could get in the mix given Clowe feels he’s playing his best hockey of the year right now, and numbers back it up — he has five points in his last eight games, and recently played over 18 minutes in back-to-back wins over Detroit and Phoenix.

“I think my game is where it needs to be, and good things will start happening,” he explained. “I think I’m playing the best hockey of the season that I’ve played so far, so that’s a good sign.”

Report: Torres won’t appeal 41-game suspension


Sounds like Raffi Torres is accepting his punishment.

Per Sportsnet, Torres won’t appeal his 41-game suspension for an illegal hit to the head of Anaheim’s Jakob Silfverberg.

The report comes just days after the NHL’s Department of Player Safety levied one of the longest disciplinary rulings in league history, citing both the severity of the Silfverberg hit and Torres’ lengthy history of suspensions, fines and warnings.

There was some thought, however, that Torres would try to challenge the ruling.


He does have a history of success in that department. In 2012,Torres successfully appealed his suspension for a headshot on Chicago’s Marian Hossa, and had his punishment reduced from 25 games to 21.

Torres also isn’t considered a “repeat offender” under the current collective bargaining agreement, as his last suspension came in 2013.

Of course, part of that clean record is due to the fact he hasn’t played much. Torres has largely been sidelined by injury for the last two seasons, missing all of last year with knee problems.

Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman delved further into the repeat offender thing in his latest 30 Thoughts column:

If you read the relevant sections of the CBA, the league takes the position that the repeat offender status is only applicable to fines. Repeaters are fined on a per-game basis, non-repeaters on a per-day basis. (The former is more expensive, because there are fewer games than days in an NHL season.) However, if you go to Section 18.2, among the factors taken into account are, “the status of the offender and, specifically, whether the Player has a history of being subject to Supplementary Discipline for On-Ice Conduct.”

So, in the NHL’s view, a player’s history is relevant, even if longer than 18 months ago.

Should the report prove accurate and Torres doesn’t appeal, he will be eligible to return to action on Jan. 14, when the Sharks take on the Oilers.

Report: Kings, Richards nearing settlement

Mike Richards

The Los Angeles Kings and Mike Richards may be nearing a settlement in their dispute over Richards’ terminated contract, TSN’s Bob McKenzie is reporting.

You can read the report for all the details, but we’re sure curious about this part:

If a settlement is reached, there’s no word yet on what salary cap penalties the Kings would still face. There’s bound to be something, but not likely as onerous as the full value of Richards’ contract, which carries with it a cap hit of $5.75 million. If there’s a settlement, Richards would undoubtedly become a free agent though there’s no telling at this point what monies he would be entitled to from the Kings in a settlement.

The issue here is precedent, and what this case could set. The NHL and NHLPA can’t allow teams to escape onerous contracts through a back door, and many are adamant that that’s what the Kings were attempting to do in Richards’ case.