A month ago, the Chicago Blackhawks squeaked by the Detroit Red Wings via a shootout. This Sunday, it was a blowout instead, with Chicago winning 7-1. Let’s get to the talking points.
- The Red Wings are parked in seventh place in the West with 39 points (17-13-5 in 35 games). How worried should Detroit be about missing the playoffs?
- Speaking of which, should Detroit look to the trade market to bolster its banged-up lineup? While Johan Franzen came back today, Henrik Zetterberg was an injury scratch and Mikael Samuelsson’s return to action didn’t last very long.
- Pivoting on the trade deadline question: what kind of pieces should the powerhouse Blackhawks ponder? Is Mark Streit really the guy that might push them over the top?
- Would Detroit be a better first-round matchup for Chicago than the St. Louis Blues? What about other teams that are lingering around the eighth spot area like the San Jose Sharks, Dallas Stars, Edmonton Oilers, Nashville Predators or Columbus Blue Jackets?
- How good is Brandon Saad, really? He’s been red-hot lately.