The Ottawa Senators’ ridiculous run of injuries continued on Thursday as defenseman Sergei Gonchar suffered an undisclosed injury.
The good news is that head coach Paul MacLean didn’t seem too concerned about the mystery ailment, which will apparently be re-evaluated on Friday.
It’s especially cruel timing because the 38-year-old blueliner has been generating some of his best production in ages lately. He extended a nine-game point streak (one goal, 13 assists) with a helper in Ottawa’s 2-1 loss to the Boston Bruins tonight.
Again, it’s heartening that his issue might not be too serious, but the Senators’ injury list is just absurd:
- Erik Karlsson (season over)
- Jared Cowen (season over)
- Jason Spezza (out indefinitely)
- Milan Michalek (out indefinitely, season’s probably over)
- Craig Anderson (day-to-day)
- Marc Methot (day-to-day)
- Mike Lundin (day-to-day)
- David Dziurzynski (day-to-day)
- Gonchar (we shall see)
Yup, that’s pretty outrageous.