Marc Staal

Report: NHLPA to explore mandatory visors for new players


Mandatory visor usage was one of the big developments to come from Wednesday’s NHL GMs meeting in Toronto.

According to NHLPA executive Mathieu Schneider, the players’ union will reportedly look at making visors mandatory for players entering the league, and will also explore grandfathering in visor usage for current players.

TVA’s Louis Jean reports the PA will poll its members on the grandfathering idea, and the Globe and Mail’s David Shoalts notes that, if there’s enough support, the grandfather rule will go to the competition committee.

If it goes through, mandatory visor usage would be similar to the Helmet Rule modification of 1979.

In August of that year, NHL president John Ziegler announced that protective helmets would be mandatory, with the grandfather clause/exception pertaining to players that had already inked a pro contract and were willing to sign a waiver.

It’s not surprising mandatory visors have gained traction, given all that’s transpired lately.

Visor use has steadily increased over the past few seasons, with a recent NHLPA report claiming 73 percent of active players wear a shield — up from 34 percent in the 2003-04 season.

The conversation was sparked further when New York Rangers defenseman Marc Staal — who doesn’t wear a visor — took a puck to his eye in a game versus Philadelphia on Mar. 5.

He’s been out of the lineup ever since and, on Monday, brother Jordan told that Marc was planning on wearing a visor when he returns to game action.

More here, from TSN’s Darren Dreger and ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun:


Pens’ Orpik can’t think of ‘valid excuse’ against wearing a visor

Visor debate: Senators’ Phillips began using one after a puck to the eye

NHLPA: Visor use an ‘individual choice’

Daly: NHL wants mandatory visors

Torres offered in-person hearing, potentially setting up long suspension

Torres hit
Leave a comment

What will Raffi Torres get this time?

The 33-year-old forward that has become known primarily for his controversial hits has once again put himself in the sights of the NHL’s Department of Players Safety. They confirmed that he was offered an in-person hearing following his hit on Jakub Silfverberg Saturday night. He declined the opportunity to meet with them face-to-face, but the offer itself is an important detail because it gives the league the option to suspend him for more than five games.

It certainly seems like the stage is set for a lengthy suspension. For one thing, Torres is a repeat offender who once was banned from 25 games for his hit on Marian Hossa in 2012, although it was later reduced to 21 contests after an appeal. The NHL found that Torres was guilty of breaking three rules for that hit; namely interference, charging, and illegally hitting the head. The NHL is reviewing Torres’ latest incident for the same three violations.

You can see the hit below:

And here it is slowed down:

Torres got a match penalty and Silfverberg left the game. Fortunately, Ducks coach Bruce Boudreau said that Silfverberg could have returned, but was kept out for precautionary reasons.

Flames acquire Freddie Hamilton, brother of Dougie

Freddie Hamilton
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Roughly three months after acquiring Dougie Hamilton, the Calgary Flames have brought his brother on board too.

Freddie Hamilton was pried away from the Colorado Avalanche for the cost a 2016 conditional seventh-round draft pick, per the Avalanche’s website. The Flames announced that he will report to AHL Stockton.

Freddie, who is the older of the two at 23, is a center that excelled offensively in the OHL and has chipped in at the AHL level. However, he has just one point in 29 contests with Colorado and the San Jose Sharks.

This is obviously not a big trade, but perhaps Freddie will eventually become a solid member of the Flames’ supporting cast. If nothing else, it didn’t cost Calgary much to reunite the brothers. The duo previously played together with the Niagara IceDogs.