Ryan Getzlaf

Anaheim re-signs Getzlaf: Eight years, $66 million


The Ducks have locked up their captain through 2021.

That was the word out of Anaheim on Friday as the club announced it had agreed to an eight-year extension — the maximum contract length under the new CBA — with Ryan Getzlaf.

Getzlaf will be paid a whopping $66 million over the course of the deal, with an average annual cap hit of $8.25 million.

It represents a tie for the NHL’s fourth-largest cap hit (with Eric Staal), behind only Alex Ovechkin, Evgeni Malkin and Sidney Crosby.

More contract details: 1) It contains a no-movement clause that kicks in immediately. 2) The most salary he’ll earn in one season is $9.25 million. 3) There’s a $3 million signing bonus in the last year of the deal.

“We are very happy to have Ryan committed to this franchise long-term,” said Ducks GM Bob Murray. “He has often expressed his interest to stay in Anaheim for his entire career, a goal we share. He is a leader, a proven winner, and possesses a skill set that’s hard to find.

“This is a great day for the Ducks.”

Getzlaf, 27, won a Stanley Cup with Anaheim in 2007 and inherited the team captaincy from Scott Niedermayer in 2010.

He currently leads the Ducks in scoring, with 27 points in 22 games, and sits tied for ninth overall in the league.

His signing is huge news for both the Anaheim organization and the rest of the NHL. All eyes were on Orange County this season as the Ducks faced huge decisions with a pair of UFAs — Getzlaf, and running mate Corey Perry.

In 2008, the two signed matching five-year, $26.25 million deals and it could be argued that Perry’s of equal value — if not more — than Getzlaf.

Perry’s emerged as one of the NHL’s premier goalscorers over the last two years, racing up 87 all told while capturing both the Maurice Richard and Hart Trophies in 2010-11.


Why would the Ducks trade Perry?

Ducks GM Murray will do “everything in my power” to re-sign Getzlaf, Perry

Ducks reunite Perry-Getzlaf-Ryan line

Report: Islanders cut first-rounder Barzal from camp

Mathew Barzal
Getty Images
Leave a comment

It seems Mathew Barzal has played in his last game in a New York Islanders’ uniform for a little while.

Barzal took part in the Islanders’ preseason finale against the Washington Capitals on Sunday, but after that contest the Islanders decided to return him to WHL Seattle, per Newsday’s Arthur Staple.

He was taken with the 16th overall pick in 2015 NHL Entry Draft. That selection was well-traveled as it originally belonged to the Pittsburgh Penguins, but was involved in the David Perron trade and then moved to the Islanders as part of Edmonton’s deal to get Griffin Reinhart.

Barzal is noteworthy for his skill and speed, but he may have slipped in the draft due to a knee injury he sustained during the 2014-15 campaign.

The Islanders also reassigned Kirill Petrov, Kevin Czuczman, Scott Mayfield, and Adam Pelech to the AHL’s Bridgeport Sound Tigers.

Torres offered in-person hearing, potentially setting up long suspension

Torres hit

What will Raffi Torres get this time?

The 33-year-old forward that has become known primarily for his controversial hits has once again put himself in the sights of the NHL’s Department of Players Safety. They confirmed that he was offered an in-person hearing following his hit on Jakub Silfverberg Saturday night. He declined the opportunity to meet with them face-to-face, but the offer itself is an important detail because it gives the league the option to suspend him for more than five games.

It certainly seems like the stage is set for a lengthy suspension. While Torres is not considered a repeat offender as his last suspension came more than 18 months ago, the NHL still retains the right to consider his history when deciding on this matter.

Among other incidents, he was once was banned from 25 games for his hit on Marian Hossa in 2012, although it was later reduced to 21 contests after an appeal. The NHL found that Torres was guilty of breaking three rules for that hit; namely interference, charging, and illegally hitting the head. The NHL is reviewing Torres’ latest incident for the same three violations.

You can see the hit below:

And here it is slowed down:

Torres got a match penalty and Silfverberg left the game. Fortunately, Ducks coach Bruce Boudreau said that Silfverberg could have returned, but was kept out for precautionary reasons.