A three-time 10-goal scorer that racked up a career-high 16 in 2009-10, Drew Doughty’s never had problems putting pucks in the net.
As such, one can understand his current level of frustration.
The LA Kings blueliner is goalless in 21 games this season and on Friday admitted the slump is getting to him.
“It’s frustrating, obviously,” Doughty told NHL.com. “It’s in my head too often. I want to get that goal really bad.”
While it’s not the first time he’s fallen into an early-season scoring funk — he only had two goals through 21 games last year — it’s the first time he’s failed to find the back of the net entirely, which is understandably maddening.
This is the same guy, after all, that scored 33 goals over his final two years with Guelph of the Ontario Hockey League.
That said, Doughty insists he won’t go chasing that elusive first tally.
“I’m still just playing my solid defensive game and if I have that opportunity, I’ll try to put one in the net,” he explained. “Yeah, it’s frustrating, but the coaches are happy with the way I’m playing.
“If I don’t score a goal and we’re winning, it really doesn’t matter.”
Following his stunning 41-game suspension, it looks like Raffi Torres has at least one former teammate in his corner.
We haven’t yet seen how the San Jose Sharks or the NHLPA are reacting to the league’s hammer-dropping decision to punish Torres for his Torres-like hit on Jakob Silfverberg, but Jason Demers decided to put in a good word for Torres tonight.
It was a simple message: “#FreeTorres.”
Demers, now of the Dallas Stars, was once with Torres and the Sharks. (In case this post’s main image didn’t make that clear enough already.)
Perhaps this will become “a thing” at some point.
So far, it seems like it’s instead “a thing (that people are making fun of).”
… You get the idea.
The bottom line is that there are some who either a) blindly support Torres because they’re Sharks fans or b) simply think that the punishment was excessive.
The most important statement came from the Department of Player Safety, though.
Those who feel as though the Boston Bruins may rebound – John Tortorella, maybe? – likely rest some of their optimism on the back of a healthy Zdeno Chara.
It’s possible that he’s merely limping into what may otherwise be a healthy 2015-16 season, but it’s definitely looking like a slow start thanks to a lower-body injury.
The latest sign of a bumpy beginning came on Monday, as several onlookers (including CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty) pointed out that Chara was listed on injured reserve.
As Haggerty notes, that move is retroactive to Sept. 24, so his status really just opens up options for the Bruins.
Still … it’s a little unsettling, isn’t it?
The Bruins likely realize that they need to transition away from their generational behemoth, but last season provided a stark suggestion that may not be ready yet. Trading Dougie Hamilton and losing Dennis Seidenberg to injury only make them more dependent on the towering 38-year-old.
This isn’t really something to panic about, yet it might leave a few extra seats open on the Bruins’ bandwagon.