After road trip ‘from hell,’ Trotz says changes are coming in Nashville


On the heels of a 5-1 thrashing in Los Angeles and what he called “a [road] trip from hell,” Barry Trotz said the Predators could be in for a significant shakeup.

“We’re going to have to make some changes,” Nashville’s head coach said on Monday night, courtesy Mayor’s Manor. “We’re going to have to change some guys. It’s not working for us.”

Nashville has just two wins in its last nine games and has been wildly inconsistent offensively.

Beginning on Feb. 16, the Preds scored 11 goals over a three-game stretch against Anaheim, Colorado and Detroit, but were then shut out in back-to-back losses to Vancouver and Detroit.

The Preds followed that up by exploding in a 5-4 OT win over Dallas…which was followed by the aforementioned hellish road trip.

Nashville suffered three losses in which they scored just three times (a 5-1 loss at Anaheim, 2-1 loss at San Jose and Monday’s 5-1 loss at LA.)

Yeah, not good.

Overall, Nashville has the league’s worst offense and last year’s three leading scorers — Martin Erat, David Legwand and Mike Fisher — have combined for just 27 points.

The Preds have claimed forwards Bobby Butler and Zach Boychuk off waivers to try and shake things up, but Trotz suggested those aren’t the only moves Nashville plans on making.

Here’s more Trotz, from Mayor’s Manor:

“Somebody’s going to be getting knocked out of the lineup. We’ve only had 20 guys. So there’s no backside pressure by anybody. We don’t have any extra guys right now, so everybody’s comfortable.

“The comfort level is going to be out the door, because A, we’re going to be looking at recalling some people, or obviously we picked up Bobby Butler on waivers. I’m sure our management and scouts are out there looking. I know the last couple days they’ve met, and trying to improve us.

“So that’s what it is right now. Now we’re not playing good as a hockey team, and then we’re not winning games where you have to win hockey games.”

The next two weeks will prove to be pretty crucial for the Preds.

They’ll get most of this week off, returning on Friday for a two-game homestand against the Oilers (Friday) and Wild (Saturday.)

After that, it’s off on another roadie — this time, a trek through Dallas, Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton and Columbus that will see the Preds play five games in seven nights.

Gustavsson secures one-year contract with Bruins

Jonas Gustavsson
AP Photo
Leave a comment

There was stiff competition for the backup goaltending job in Boston, but with a signing this afternoon, it seems likely that the matter has been resolved.

The Boston Bruins announced that Jonas Gustavsson has agreed to a one-year, $700,000 deal. It’s a one-way contract, according to the Boston Globe’s Amalie Benjamin.

That contract is still small enough that the Bruins could bury it in the minors if they so desire, but it does set him apart from his last competitor for the goalie position, Jeremy Smith, who has a two-way deal. The fact that Boston went this route seems to imply that Gustavsson will serve as Tuukka Rask‘s understudy, although both netminders attended Sunday’s practice.

In Smith, the Bruins would be getting a 26-year-old goaltender who was dominant with the AHL’s Providence Bruins last season, but has no NHL experience. By contrast Gustavsson, 30, has played in almost 150 NHL games.

Boston sent Zane McIntyre and Malcolm Subban to the minors last week, but an argument could be made that either one of them is worthy of the backup job. However, both of them have a lot of potential and it’s not surprising that the Bruins felt they were better served by staying in the minors where they can play regularly and focus on honing their game.

Flames release Ryan Wilson from PTO

Ryan Wilson, Sidney Crosby
Leave a comment

The Calgary Flames have released Ryan Wilson from his professional tryout.

The 28-year-old was trying to make a comeback after missing 79 games with a shoulder injury last season.

Even with T.J. Brodie sidelined because of a broken hand, Wilson still faced long odds to make the final roster.

The veteran will be hard-pressed to find NHL work with another team.

He hasn’t suited up in more than 12 regular season games since 2011-12.

The Stockton Heat, Calgary’s AHL affiliate, also made some news on Sunday.

The club announced that they’ve signed Colton Orr to an AHL contract.

The 33-year-old tough guy suited up in just one game for the Toronto Maple Leafs last season. He has 12 seasons of NHL experience under his belt.