Jets’ Redmond likely done for year after lacerating femoral artery


The Winnipeg Jets will likely be without the services of defenseman Zach Redmond for the remainder of the season after the defenseman suffered a serious skate cut prior to Thursday’s game in Carolina.

That said, Redmond’s situation could be much worse.

The 24-year-old suffered a lacerated femoral artery and lost nearly two pints of blood, according to Jets head athletic therapist Rob Milette.

“I’ve been doing this for 12 years and that’s easily the most grave incident I’ve been a part of, for sure,” Milette told the Winnipeg Sun. “Surgery went well. There were a lot of blood vessels that needed repair, along with all the surrounding tissue, the muscles.

“He’s doing well right now and we can only hope his recovery will be as good as the surgery went.”

Redmond was cut during the morning skate by teammate Antti Miettinen, who actually skated over the back of the fallen Redmond’s leg during a drill.

The scene on the ice was disturbing, to say the least.

Milette was quick to praise Jets assistant coach Perry Pearn for minimizing Redmond’s blood loss by using his jacket as a tourniquet, and said Redmond’s ability to stay conscious prevented the situation from being far worse.

Which, apparently, it could’ve been.

“[Redmond] did a great job,” said Milette. “If he had been unconscious, then you get into a scenario where you might need to get a defibrillator on him to get him going. He lost a lot of blood there, so his heart was definitely struggling. We were monitoring his vitals, checking his pulse and his pulse was really weak and really slow.

“He was pale and he was telling us he was getting thirsty.”

Sens demote former first-rounder Puempel

Matt Puempel
Leave a comment

Looks like Matt Puempel won’t be making the leap after all.

Puempel, the subject of Ottawa’s “looking to make the leap” profile during our Team of the Day series, has been sent down to AHL Binghamton one day prior to the Sens’ opener against Buffalo.

Puempel, taken by Ottawa in the first round (24th overall) at the ’11 draft, made his big-league debut last season and looked as though he’d stick around — only to suffer a high ankle sprain after 13 games, and miss the rest of the season.

The 22-year-old came into this year’s camp looking to secure a full-time position at the big league level, but was beaten out by Shane Prince for the final forward spot on the roster.

To be fair, contract status probably played a role. Prince would’ve had to clear waivers to get down to Bingo, whereas Puempel didn’t.

A former 30-goal scorer in the American League, Puempel is expected to get another look with Ottawa this season.

Report: Torres won’t appeal 41-game suspension


Sounds like Raffi Torres is accepting his punishment.

Per Sportsnet, Torres won’t appeal his 41-game suspension for an illegal hit to the head of Anaheim’s Jakob Silfverberg.

The report comes just days after the NHL’s Department of Player Safety levied one of the longest disciplinary rulings in league history, citing both the severity of the Silfverberg hit and Torres’ lengthy history of suspensions, fines and warnings.

There was some thought, however, that Torres would try to challenge the ruling.


He does have a history of success in that department. In 2012,Torres successfully appealed his suspension for a headshot on Chicago’s Marian Hossa, and had his punishment reduced from 25 games to 21.

Torres also isn’t considered a “repeat offender” under the current collective bargaining agreement, as his last suspension came in 2013.

Of course, part of that clean record is due to the fact he hasn’t played much. Torres has largely been sidelined by injury for the last two seasons, missing all of last year with knee problems.

Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman delved further into the repeat offender thing in his latest 30 Thoughts column:

If you read the relevant sections of the CBA, the league takes the position that the repeat offender status is only applicable to fines. Repeaters are fined on a per-game basis, non-repeaters on a per-day basis. (The former is more expensive, because there are fewer games than days in an NHL season.) However, if you go to Section 18.2, among the factors taken into account are, “the status of the offender and, specifically, whether the Player has a history of being subject to Supplementary Discipline for On-Ice Conduct.”

So, in the NHL’s view, a player’s history is relevant, even if longer than 18 months ago.

Should the report prove accurate and Torres doesn’t appeal, he will be eligible to return to action on Jan. 14, when the Sharks take on the Oilers.