It looked like the Los Angeles Kings were going to get at least a well-earned charity point on Sunday, but a late Jonathan Ericsson goal gave the Detroit Red Wings a 3-2 regulation win instead. Let’s get to the talking points.
- Jimmy Howard rarely receives many plaudits, yet he’s been putting up strong numbers recently. Is it time to really start considering him an elite goalie?
- Speaking of elite goalies, Jonathan Quick had a mostly solid afternoon but still let precious standings points slip away. Can he get it together this season?
- On that note, the unavoidable: will the Kings be able to pull another rabbit out of a hat and make a late postseason run again? They’re tied for the least points in the West with eight points and are five points behind the Dallas Stars (13) and St. Louis Blues (13) for one of the two last playoff spots.
- Detroit’s now in fifth place, extending its winning streak to three games. Should the Red Wings be considered a contender as usual?
- While Pavel Datsyuk dazzled as always, Henrik Zetterberg was the game’s second star with two assists and strong overall play. Do we forget about the Red Wings captain too easily when discussing all-world players?
Here are highlights from today’s wild game.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!