Tim Thomas

Boston trades Tim Thomas to Islanders

51 Comments

The New York Islanders have acquired Tim Thomas from the Boston Bruins in exchange for a conditional second-round draft pick in either 2014 or 2015.

TSN’s Bob McKenzie notes the Bruins will only receive the pick if Thomas reports to the Isles, or if they trade his rights.

Thomas, 38, has not played this year after taking a sabbatical from hockey to “reconnect with friends, family and faith” in early June.

The former Conn Smythe and Vezina winner said he planned on returning for the 2013-14 season, but that he only wanted to play for Boston.

Prior to the trade, Boston had been stuck with Thomas’ cap hit, though it did receive some financial relief by suspending him, meaning the Bruins didn’t have to pay his salary.

Thomas will also play a role in New York’s financials as well.

“We have acquired an asset for our organization,” Isles GM Garth Snow said of the trade. “This acquisition allows us flexibility with our roster moving forward.”

New York, currently operating with the NHL’s smallest payroll (just over $49 million), already has two goalies under contract — Rick DiPietro ($4.5 million cap hit until 2021) and Evgeni Nabokov, who carries at $2.75 million cap hit this season.

Thomas has one year remaining on the four-year, $20 million deal (average annual cap hit of $5 million) he signed in 2009.

Here’s more, from Newsday’s Arthur Staple:

With the NHL’s salary cap floor at $44 million, bringing Thomas’ salary on board could allow the Islanders to move other players (via trade, perhaps) and still clear the floor.

Earlier today, defenseman Lubomir Visnovsky was added to the active roster, but has repeatedly tried to block his move to the Islanders.

Over the weekend, Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun passed along a rumor that the Isles would be willing to part with defenseman Mark Streit — should they fall out of playoff contention.

Visnovsky and Streit are both impending UFAs with a combined cap hit of $9.7 million.

Update:

— McKenzie also notes the Isles can “toll” Thomas’ contract to next year (something the Bruins had the option of doing), or they can let it expire at the end of the year.

— Staple reports the Islanders are unlikely to toll the contract, as they want financial flexibility going into the offseason.

Sens are ‘ecstatic’ to add Burrows

Vancouver Canucks' Alex Burrows celebrates his goal against the Colorado Avalanche during the first period of an NHL hockey game in Vancouver, British Columbia, Thursday, March 28, 2013. (AP Photo/The Canadian Press, Darryl Dyck)
AP
Leave a comment

The Ottawa Senators made Alex Burrows‘ contract extension official this morning.

The day after acquiring the 35-year-old forward from Vancouver, the Sens announced that Burrows had signed a two-year, $5 million extension with a 10-team no-trade clause.

Ottawa gave up 19-year-old prospect Jonathan Dahlen to get Burrows from the Canucks.

“I think we’ve become a tougher team to play against and with the acquisition of Alex Burrows we’ve become an even tougher team to play against,” said GM Pierre Dorion, per the Ottawa Sun. “We all know how games are at this time of the year and, hopefully, when our team gets in the playoffs, how they’re grinding, difficult games.

“Getting someone of Alex’s character is something we couldn’t turn (away from). Our players have done exactly what we’ve asked of them. They’ve played hard, they’ve played a system and we just felt it was time to add another piece. In Alex Burrows, we’re ecstatic to have that piece.”

After last night’s 5-1 loss in Tampa Bay, the Sens only have a four-point playoff cushion, so there’s still work to be done down the stretch.

Ottawa hosts Colorado Thursday.

Related: Canucks GM says he isn’t done after trading ‘heart and soul’ guy Burrows

‘Hawks sign Rozsival, Tootoo to one-year extensions

CHICAGO, IL - DECEMBER 20: Michal Rozsival #32 of the Chicago Blackhawks passes against the San Jose Sharks at the United Center on December 20, 2015 in Chicago, Illinois. The Blackhawks defeated the Sharks 4-3 in overtime.  (Photo by Jonathan Daniel/Getty Images)
Getty
5 Comments

Chicago re-upped with a pair of veteran skaters on Tuesday, agreeing to one-year contract extensions with d-man Michal Rozsival and forward Jordin Tootoo.

At first glance, these deals certainly appear to be expansion draft-related. The Sun-Times notes this will allow ‘Hawks GM Stan Bowman to protect former first-round pick Ryan Hartman, who’s enjoying a breakout campaign with 15 goals through 57 games.

Rozsival, 38, has been the more active of today’s signees, appearing in 51 contests while notching a pair of points. He’s won a pair of Stanley Cups in Chicago.

Tootoo, 34, was signed last summer and has appeared in 36 games. He’s gone scoreless while racking up 21 PIM.

Rozsival’s current deal pays $600,000, while Tootoo’s is at $750,000. Terms of their extensions weren’t released but it’s fair to suggest the dollar figures will be similar, given Chicago’s pressed right up against the cap ceiling.

UPDATE:

Bowman certainly seems to be getting his house in order ahead of the aforementioned expansion draft. Last week, he inked journeyman goalie Jeff Glass to a two-year deal, another move that appeared to be with Vegas in mind.

Welcome Valtteri Filppula to the trade rumor mill

TAMPA, FL - OCTOBER 18:  Valtteri Filppula #51 of the Tampa Bay Lightning backhands a shot against Florida Panthers during the overtime period at the Amalie Arena on October 18, 2016 in Tampa, Florida. (Photo by Mike Carlson/Getty Images)
Getty
3 Comments

Having already dealt away Ben Bishop and Brian Boyle, Lightning GM Steve Yzerman could be on the verge of moving another veteran out of town:

Valtteri Filppula.

Fippula, 32, is in the fourth of a five-year, $25 million deal with a $5M average annual cap hit. He’s had a nice bounce-back offensive campaign, with 34 points through 59 games — last year, those totals dipped to 31 in 76 — and has been a dependable, defensively responsible center during his time in Tampa Bay.

So, why might he get moved?

Yzerman has plenty of business to attend to this summer. Tyler Johnson, Ondrej Palat and Jonathan Drouin are all pending RFAs requiring new deals, and it’s going to be expensive trying to keep all three in the fold.

It’s also worth noting that Victor Hedman‘s monster extension kicks in next year and, per ESPN, Yzerman is still searching to add a top-four defenseman to the mix.

McKenzie notes it’s unclear if Filppula has agreed to waive his NTC. If he does, though, teams would undoubtedly be interested in acquiring an experienced middle man, with tons of playoff experience.

Filppula’s appeared in over 150 career postseason contests, winning a Stanley Cup with Detroit in 2008.

Isles recall Ho-Sang on emergency basis

2014 NHL Draft - Portraits
Getty
Leave a comment

New York made an interesting move on Tuesday, recalling prospect Josh Ho-Sang from AHL Bridgeport on an emergency basis, ahead of Thursday’s game in Dallas.

Ho-Sang, 20, was the club’s first-round pick (28th overall) at the 2014 NHL Entry Draft. A gifted offensive talent, Ho-Sang was a polarizing and controversial figure in his draft year, known equally for his skills as he was for his brash, outspoken demeanor.

Controversy followed him to the Isles when, in his first pro training camp, he was sent packing after just one day.

To his credit, Ho-Sang has morphed into a quality AHL scorer and impressed the Isles along the way. He has 10 goals and 36 points in 48 games this year, sitting first on the team in assists and second in scoring.

Because of the timing of this recall — and the fact the Isles were blasted 7-0 in their last game, on Saturday against the Jackets — some have speculated this recall could be tied to a pending trade from GM Garth Snow.

Stay tuned.

UPDATE: