P.K. Subban finally scored his first goal of the season, after a contract dispute with the Montreal Canadiens kept him out of the team’s first six games.
The only problem was it would be the only goal for the Canadiens Wednesday night.
Facing their historic rivals, the Boston Bruins, the Canadiens gave up two goals in less than two minutes apart early in the third period in a 2-1 loss at the Bell Centre.
Tyler Seguin and David Krejci tallied for the Bruins, but only after head coach Claude Julien decided during the second intermission to switch his line combinations around.
“There are going to be some nights when we aren’t going as well and we all know that Krejci line’s been awesome for us,” Julien told the Boston Herald.
“Tonight they didn’t seem able to create much and I said ‘Why don’t we move guys around here and give them a little spark.’ And it worked out.”
Seguin was put onto a line with Krejci, and within two minutes and five seconds of the beginning of the third period, the Bruins went from trailing 1-0 to leading 2-1.
“The coaches said they wanted to give a little spark and see what happens,” Seguin told NHL.com.
“Obviously with the first two shifts we were able to pop in two goals, so it worked out.”
The Bruins played Wednesday without Brad Marchand, who sat out because of an “upper body injury.”
The win gives the Bruins a 7-1-1 record, which puts them at the top of the Eastern Conference.
Following his stunning 41-game suspension, it looks like Raffi Torres has at least one former teammate in his corner.
We haven’t yet seen how the San Jose Sharks or the NHLPA are reacting to the league’s hammer-dropping decision to punish Torres for his Torres-like hit on Jakob Silfverberg, but Jason Demers decided to put in a good word for Torres tonight.
It was a simple message: “#FreeTorres.”
Demers, now of the Dallas Stars, was once with Torres and the Sharks. (In case this post’s main image didn’t make that clear enough already.)
Perhaps this will become “a thing” at some point.
So far, it seems like it’s instead “a thing (that people are making fun of).”
… You get the idea.
The bottom line is that there are some who either a) blindly support Torres because they’re Sharks fans or b) simply think that the punishment was excessive.
The most important statement came from the Department of Player Safety, though.
Those who feel as though the Boston Bruins may rebound – John Tortorella, maybe? – likely rest some of their optimism on the back of a healthy Zdeno Chara.
It’s possible that he’s merely limping into what may otherwise be a healthy 2015-16 season, but it’s definitely looking like a slow start thanks to a lower-body injury.
The latest sign of a bumpy beginning came on Monday, as several onlookers (including CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty) pointed out that Chara was listed on injured reserve.
As Haggerty notes, that move is retroactive to Sept. 24, so his status really just opens up options for the Bruins.
Still … it’s a little unsettling, isn’t it?
The Bruins likely realize that they need to transition away from their generational behemoth, but last season provided a stark suggestion that may not be ready yet. Trading Dougie Hamilton and losing Dennis Seidenberg to injury only make them more dependent on the towering 38-year-old.
This isn’t really something to panic about, yet it might leave a few extra seats open on the Bruins’ bandwagon.