Roman Hamrlik Getty

Hamrlik unsure why he’s odd man out in Caps’ D rotation


Roman Hamrlik hasn’t played a game for the Washington Capitals since Jan. 24, and even with John Erskine’s suspension, it sounds like he’ll stay in street clothes.

The $3.5 million defenseman didn’t have an answer for why he hasn’t cracked the team’s top six defenseman lately, according to the Washington Times.

“I don’t know. I don’t know,” Hamrlik said. “I don’t know what to tell you.”

Head coach Adam Oates said “he’s a big boy; he’ll get a chance,” but didn’t imply that the 39-year-old blueliner needs to wow him in practice to get back into the mix.

“He doesn’t need to do anything [in practice],” Oates said. “Guys have been playing good hockey, so I don’t think it’s fair to take them out right now.”

Then again, one might point to Washington’s 33 goals allowed in nine games, which is tied with the Buffalo Sabres for the NHL’s worst mark as of this moment.

Hamrlik has played three games so far this season, registering an assist and a -1 rating. He’s also the guy who made quite the rumbling about ending the lockout, yet it’s doubtful that would make a big difference in Oates’ lineup choices.

Video: NHL drops hammer, suspends Torres for 41 games


One of the NHL’s most notorious hitters has been tagged by the league.

On Monday, the Department of Player Safety announced that San Jose forward Raffi Torres has been suspended 41 games — half of the regular season — for an illegal check to the head of Anaheim’s Jakob Silfverberg.

The length of Torres’ suspension is a combination of the Silfverberg hit and Torres’ history of delivering hits to the heads of opposing players, including Jordan Eberle, Jarret Stoll, Nate Prosser and Marian Hossa.

“Torres has repeatedly violated league playing rules,” the Department of Player Safety explained. “And has been sanctioned multiple times for similar infractions.”

The league also noted that Torres has been warned, fined, or suspended on nine occasions over the course of his career, “the majority of which have involved a hit to an opponent’s head.”

“Same player every year,” Ducks forward Ryan Kesler said following the hit on Silfverberg. “I played with the guy [in Vancouver]. He needs to learn how to hit. That has no part in our game anymore.”

As for what lies ahead, things could get interesting upon potential appeal:

Torres successfully appealed a suspension under the previous CBA, getting his punishment for the Hossa hit reduced from 25 to 21 games.

Under terms of the new CBA, Torres isn’t categorized as a repeat offender because his last suspension came in May of 2013 — more than two years ago.

Of course, part of the reason Torres hasn’t run afoul of the league in two years is because he’s barely played.

Knee injuries limited Torres to just 12 games in ’13-14, and he sat out last season entirely.

Blues send down four; keep young d-men Edmundson and Parayko

Magnus Paajarvi
Leave a comment

The St. Louis Blues have assigned two forwards, Magnus Paajarvi and Ty Rattie, and two defensemen, Chris Butler and Petteri Lindbohm, to AHL Chicago.

The moves mean that the Blues will have two young d-men, Joel Edmundson and Colton Parayko, on the opening-day roster, after both impressed in camp.

From the Post-Dispatch:

Lindbohm and Butler looked to be the sixth and seventh defensemen, in that order, at the start of camp, but the play of Edmundson and Parayko won them spots. Parayko had six assists in the preseason, putting him among the NHL leaders. 

Forward Robby Fabbri will also be on the opening-day roster. The 19-year-old is not eligible for the AHL; he can only be returned to junior.

Earlier today, the Blues announced the signing of forward Scottie Upshall.