P.K. Subban

Subban: “I want to be paid what I’m worth”


In a lengthy and wide-ranging interview with the Montreal Gazette, PK Subban made one thing abundantly clear.

He knows his value, and he wants to be compensated accordingly.

“It’s come down to this — I want to be paid what I’m worth,” Subban told the Gazette’s Dave Stubbs.

Subban, a restricted free agent, hasn’t played this year as his contract negotiation with the Canadiens continues to drag along.

(The Gazette suggests the Canadiens want a short-term deal to “bridge” Subban to his next contract, which would be more lucrative. Subban wants to be paid what he believes he’s worth to the team.)

While other talented RFA blueliners in similar positions sorted out their deals — John Carlson inked with Washington right before the lockout, Michael Del Zotto signed with the Rangers during training camp — Subban’s situation has developed into a full-blown saga.

Though to be fair, Subban’s situation is rather complex.

His value to Montreal is probably higher than Carlson’s to Washington (where Mike Green plays the most minutes) or Del Zotto’s to New York (where he’s behind Dan Girardi and Ryan McDonagh, maybe Marc Staal too.)

Though he’s only 23, Subban has already played 160 regular-season and 21 playoff games. He also led all Habs blueliners in ice time last year (24:18) and spent extensive time on both the penalty kill and power play.

The flip side, of course, is that the Habs are remarkably deep on defense.

They have seven blueliners on one-way deals and Andrei Markov is healthy for the first time in what feels like forever (Markov already has two goals and is averaging 23:37 a game.)

Regardless, Subban says he knows what he’s worth and wants to be paid accordingly.

“For my style of game and for what I do for the team, the amount of minutes I play and for what I bring to the table, I have to be fairly compensated,” he explained. “We’re not trying to rob the bank here (in contract talks). We’re not reinventing anything. We’re not holding a gun to the Canadiens’ head saying, ‘Pay us this or we’re walking away.’

“We just want to be compensated for what I’m worth.”

The end result in all of this could be a parting of ways via trade, something that has been bandied about but never spoken publicly by either Habs GM Marc Bergevin or Subban’s agent, Don Meehan.

That said, Subban realizes being dealt out of Montreal is a possibility.

“It comes down to this: I’m 23, and at some point I will be playing hockey again. I hope it’s in Montreal because I really and truly want to win there, more than anywhere else in the NHL,” he said.

“Do I see myself playing for any other team? From a business standpoint, I’m sure there are other teams where I could fit in and be a big part of things moving forward, give them a chance to win.

“But ultimately, deep down inside, I want to play for the Montreal Canadiens.”

Julien explains comments about Lundqvist’s ‘acting’

Claude Julien

We’re now over two days removed from last Friday’s tilt between the Bruins and the Rangers, but the coaches from both teams seem unwilling to move on.

Moments after that game, Claude Julien claimed that Henrik Lundqvist did some “acting” on the ice to sell a goalie interference call on Brad Marchand.

On Saturday, Alain Vigneault fired back by saying that Julien needed to get his eyesight checked. Vigneault also compared Aaron Rome’s hit on Nathan Horton in the 2011 Stanley Cup final to Matt Beleskey’s hit on Derek Stepan in Friday’s game.

Now it was Julien’s turn to address the “issue” at hand.

Julien clarified his original comment about Lundqvist and he also tackled some of Vigneault’s comments.

“I think it’s pretty obvious what I said . . . I thought Lundqvist sold it,” said Julien. “Not for a second did I ever question Henrik Lundqvist as a person, or a goaltender or any of that. We all know how good he is as a goaltender, and I know he’s a good person. I’ve met him at the All-Star games and all that stuff.

Julien on his eyesight: “As far as my eyes, I’m not the one that compared Beleskey’s hit to Aaron Rome’s [hit]. We’ll just leave it at that.”

It’s time for both sides to move on.

Good news: Colaiacovo traveling with Sabres

Leave a comment

It was a scary sight.

Carlo Colaiacovo fell to his hands and knees after taking a cross-check to the throat from Predators forward Viktor Arvidsson (above).

Arvidsson received a five-minute major and a game misconduct, while Colaiacovo suffered a dented trachea on the play.

After the game, both Dan Bylsma and Peter Laviolette agreed that there was no malicious intent on Arvidsson’s part.

“I don’t think there was intent there to maliciously cross-check,” Bylsma said. “They kind of lose the puck, turn and his stick is right at that level and delivers a blow. When you look at it, it’s a pretty stiff cross-check to Carlo’s neck.”

“It was tough for Arvidsson,” said Laviolette. “I don’t think he had any bad intentions. He just ran into somebody and the stick got caught a little bit high, but just a tough turn of events.”

The Sabres defenseman left the game and was treated at a nearby hospital, but there is some good news to report.

According to the Buffalo News, Colaiacovo was released from hospital and he was able to travel to Detroit with his teammates.

It’s unclear how long he’ll be out.

Start the Carr: Habs recall another player from the minors

Leave a comment

There’s been a lot of movement between Montreal and Saint John’s lately and that continued on Sunday.

This time, it’s forward Daniel Carr who’ll be getting a stint with the big club.

Carr has no prior NHL experience.

The 24-year-old spent four years at Union College before joining the Canadiens organization as an undrafted free agent.

In his first season as a pro, Carr scored 24 goals (led the team) and 39 points in 76 AHL games with the Hamilton Bulldogs in 2014-15.

This year, Carr has seven goals and 15 points in 20 games.

Montreal is without forwards Torrey Mitchell, Brendan Gallagher and Alexander Semin.

Campbell’s perfect snipe sinks Wings in OT


Brian Campbell doesn’t score as many points as he used to, but he came up with a huge goal against the Red Wings on Sunday afternoon.

With the game tied, 1-1, in overtime, Campbell skated into the slot and beat Petr Mrazek with a perfect wrister to end the game.

It was also a pretty nice passing play between Jussi Jokinen, Jonathan Huberdeau and Campbell.

Dylan Larkin opened the scoring in the second period before Reilly Smith leveled the score with just over five minutes remaining.

The Wings have blown a lead in three straight games.

Detroit was up 2-0 and 3-2 in their last game, against Edmonton, before they finally closed the game out with an overtime goal by Niklas Kronwall.

They weren’t so fortunate against the Bruins on Wednesday, as they lost 3-2 in OT after leading 2-1 with under two minutes remaining in regulation.

This was the first meeting of the season between Detroit and Florida, but they’ll see each other three times between Feb. 4 and Mar. 19.