Perry Getzlaf 2

Ducks GM Murray will do “everything in my power” to re-sign Getzlaf, Perry


With a crucial offseason on the horizon, Anahiem general manager Bob Murray announced what his No. 1 priority is for the immediate future:

Getting Ryan Getzlaf and Corey Perry to stick with the Ducks.

That’s what Murray told the OC Register on Sunday, saying his biggest goal for this season (aside from, y’know, winning hockey games) is to get his two stars locked into deals.

“It’s my priority,” Murray said of Perry and Getzlaf, set to become UFAs this summer. “They’ve been Anaheim Ducks. I love those guys.

“I’m going to do everything in my power to sign them.”

Here’s more, from the Register:

Getzlaf and Perry, both 27, are in the final year of contracts that carry identical salary cap hits of $5.325million. The five-year deals they signed in 2007 are structured differently as Getzlaf will make $6.125million this season while Perry, whose highest salary came in 2009-10, will be paid $4.875 million.

The two figure to command more — perhaps much more. At what number the Ducks are willing to go to retain one or both could be the deciding factor.

Perry and Getzlaf both told the Register there’s no timetable on getting deals done — but it’s clear their deals have been on the table for quite some time.

Prior to the lockout, Murray spent part of the summer talking to both players’ agents (Getzlaf is represented by agents Gerry Johannson and Steve Kotlowitz while Perry’s handlers are Mark Guy and Newport Sports.)

He expects to re-start those talks soon and, according to CBC’s Elliotte Friedman, pick up where they left off:

While both players were told Anaheim was willing to discuss long-term extensions, Getzlaf preferred to wait and see the terms of the new collective bargaining agreement; Perry’s negotiations went further, but Ducks owner Henry Samueli made it very clear he was not willing to explore the bonus/back-diving structure of a Zach Parise-type deal.

With the salary cap dropping to $64.3 million next year, Murray will have some tough decisions to make. Teemu Selanne, Saku Koivu and Toni Lydman are also set to become UFAs while 2009 first-rounder Kyle Palmieri will become an RFA.

According to Capgeek, the Ducks currently have just 12 players under contract for 2013-14, with approximately $31 million in available cap space.

Kings, NHLPA announce settlement in Richards grievance

Los Angeles Kings v New York Rangers

The Los Angeles Kings announced today that they have “reached an agreement with Mike Richards to resolve the grievance filed in relation to the termination of his NHL Standard Players Contract. The terms are agreeable to all parties.”

The club said that it will not be commenting further “on the terms” of the settlement.

The NHLPA released a similar statement.

It was reported earlier in the week that a settlement was close to being reached; however, it wasn’t clear what salary-cap penalties the Kings would incur.

We’re starting to find out some details now:

How the final numbers differ from what the Kings would have incurred if they’d bought Richards out will be interesting to see. And if there are differences, how will they be justified?

Stay tuned.

Report: Ex-NHLer Aaron Ward arrested for ‘assault on a female’ (Updated)

Brad May, Kevin Hodson, Jiri Fischer, Aaron Ward

Aaron Ward, a 16-year NHL veteran that appeared in over 800 career games, has been arrested for “assault on a female,” per WNCN.

Ward was arrested on Friday in Cary, North Carolina and also charged with interfering with emergency communication, according to the report.

Currently working as an analyst for TSN, Ward spent five years of his career in Carolina, helping the ‘Canes capture the Stanley Cup in 2006.

Update: Per WRAL, Ward’s wife called 9-1-1 after the two had a confrontation around 1 p.m. ET. Police confirmed Ward was arrested at his home in Cary.

According to the warrant for his arrest, he took away his wife’s phone.

Because of the nature of his charges, Ward will spend a mandatory 48 hours in the Wake County jail. Anyone arrested on a domestic violence charge is held for 48 hours before bail is set.

And here’s a statement from TSN: