Ilya Bryzgalov

PHT’s Pressing Questions: Can the Flyers keep the puck out of their net?


Every day until the season starts we’ll explore an intriguing storyline for the upcoming year.

Yesterday, we wrote about the New York Rangers’ inability to score in the playoffs and how the addition of Rick Nash could help in that area.

Today, let’s talk about the Flyers, a team that had the opposite problem to the Rangers’ in the postseason. Philadelphia had no problem scoring, but it surrendered 44 goals in its 11 playoff games, an average of four per game.

Two major factors have been cited in the Flyers’ inability to keep the puck out of their net.

First is goaltending.

Ilya Bryzgalov was signed last summer to be the savior. However, he ended up more sieve than savior. The eccentric 32-year-old was wildly inconsistent during the regular season and finished the playoffs with a .887 save percentage.

General manager Paul Holmgren has denied rumors that he’s interested in Canucks goalie Roberto Luongo, but there are those who believe Holmgren should be interested. As it stands, the Flyers’ net-minding tandem includes Bryzgalov and Michael Leighton, the latter of which spent last season in the AHL.

The second factor is injuries to defensemen Chris Pronger and Andrej Meszaros.

Said Flyers owner Ed Snider after his team was eliminated: “I honestly think if Pronger and Meszaros had been healthy in the playoffs, we would have won the whole thing. I don’t like to cry about injuries, but you just can’t lose a Pronger and replace him.”

Snider’s right about that last part. Unfortunately, it appears unlikely Pronger will be able to resume his career due to post-concussion syndrome.

The Flyers did their best to try and fill their Pronger-sized hole, signing Nashville defensive Shea Weber to a massive — some would call it predatory (no pun intended) – offer sheet. However, the Predators ultimately decided to match.

The only real notable addition general manager Paul Holmgren made to his blue line comes in the form of Luke Schenn, acquired from Toronto after a nightmare season with the Leafs. There’s hope the 23-year-old can rediscover his confidence with a change of scenery, but for now it’s only hope.

The fact Kimmo Timonen will turn 38 in March is another reason for concern. Last season, his average ice time fell to 21:14 from 22:28  in 2010-11. And after undergoing back surgery in May, he’s been wondering how his body will hold up during a 48-game sprint to the playoffs.

Holmgren, at least publicly, isn’t worried about what’s being said about his defense.

“Kimmo’s a good player,” Holmgren said on Monday. “[Braydon] Coburn’s a good player. [Nicklas] Grossmann’s a good player. I think Luke Schenn is a good player. I think he’s going to be a real good fit on our team.

“I don’t particularly get into reading what other people say, but I like our defense.”

Report: Islanders cut first-rounder Barzal from camp

Mathew Barzal
Getty Images
Leave a comment

It seems Mathew Barzal has played in his last game in a New York Islanders’ uniform for a little while.

Barzal took part in the Islanders’ preseason finale against the Washington Capitals on Sunday, but after that contest the Islanders decided to return him to WHL Seattle, per Newsday’s Arthur Staple.

He was taken with the 16th overall pick in 2015 NHL Entry Draft. That selection was well-traveled as it originally belonged to the Pittsburgh Penguins, but was involved in the David Perron trade and then moved to the Islanders as part of Edmonton’s deal to get Griffin Reinhart.

Barzal is noteworthy for his skill and speed, but he may have slipped in the draft due to a knee injury he sustained during the 2014-15 campaign.

The Islanders also reassigned Kirill Petrov, Kevin Czuczman, Scott Mayfield, and Adam Pelech to the AHL’s Bridgeport Sound Tigers.

Torres offered in-person hearing, potentially setting up long suspension

Torres hit

What will Raffi Torres get this time?

The 33-year-old forward that has become known primarily for his controversial hits has once again put himself in the sights of the NHL’s Department of Players Safety. They confirmed that he was offered an in-person hearing following his hit on Jakub Silfverberg Saturday night. He declined the opportunity to meet with them face-to-face, but the offer itself is an important detail because it gives the league the option to suspend him for more than five games.

It certainly seems like the stage is set for a lengthy suspension. While Torres is not considered a repeat offender as his last suspension came more than 18 months ago, the NHL still retains the right to consider his history when deciding on this matter.

Among other incidents, he was once was banned from 25 games for his hit on Marian Hossa in 2012, although it was later reduced to 21 contests after an appeal. The NHL found that Torres was guilty of breaking three rules for that hit; namely interference, charging, and illegally hitting the head. The NHL is reviewing Torres’ latest incident for the same three violations.

You can see the hit below:

And here it is slowed down:

Torres got a match penalty and Silfverberg left the game. Fortunately, Ducks coach Bruce Boudreau said that Silfverberg could have returned, but was kept out for precautionary reasons.