Mark Chipman isn’t convinced that the NHL’s new 10-year CBA will solve all the league’s problems; however, the Jets’ owner knew something had to be done – even if it meant another prolonged lockout – to ensure all 30 franchises had a better chance to be profitable.
“We had studied the league very carefully leading up to buying the team,” Chipman told the Winnipeg Free Press on Wednesday. “I came to the conclusion the lockout in 2004-05 created a significant correction in the model but hadn’t gone all the way. There were still big holes and they needed to be filled or the operation of a 30-team league was going to be fiction.”
So…is the NHL fixed now?
“It certainly is a lot closer,” said Chipman. “Is it optimal? I’m not sure yet. Let me put it to you this way, if this doesn’t work by the time the deal expires, I’m not sure what the next step would be. This ought to give all the teams in the league a chance to be viable.”
As for Gary Bettman, Chipman had nothing but good things to say and is “very, very” supportive of the commissioner:
“There wouldn’t be a team in Winnipeg but for Gary and I owe him for that and I always will. I also admire how he handled this very difficult negotiation.”
Following his stunning 41-game suspension, it looks like Raffi Torres has at least one former teammate in his corner.
We haven’t yet seen how the San Jose Sharks or the NHLPA are reacting to the league’s hammer-dropping decision to punish Torres for his Torres-like hit on Jakob Silfverberg, but Jason Demers decided to put in a good word for Torres tonight.
It was a simple message: “#FreeTorres.”
Demers, now of the Dallas Stars, was once with Torres and the Sharks. (In case this post’s main image didn’t make that clear enough already.)
Perhaps this will become “a thing” at some point.
So far, it seems like it’s instead “a thing (that people are making fun of).”
… You get the idea.
The bottom line is that there are some who either a) blindly support Torres because they’re Sharks fans or b) simply think that the punishment was excessive.
The most important statement came from the Department of Player Safety, though.
Those who feel as though the Boston Bruins may rebound – John Tortorella, maybe? – likely rest some of their optimism on the back of a healthy Zdeno Chara.
It’s possible that he’s merely limping into what may otherwise be a healthy 2015-16 season, but it’s definitely looking like a slow start thanks to a lower-body injury.
The latest sign of a bumpy beginning came on Monday, as several onlookers (including CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty) pointed out that Chara was listed on injured reserve.
As Haggerty notes, that move is retroactive to Sept. 24, so his status really just opens up options for the Bruins.
Still … it’s a little unsettling, isn’t it?
The Bruins likely realize that they need to transition away from their generational behemoth, but last season provided a stark suggestion that may not be ready yet. Trading Dougie Hamilton and losing Dennis Seidenberg to injury only make them more dependent on the towering 38-year-old.
This isn’t really something to panic about, yet it might leave a few extra seats open on the Bruins’ bandwagon.