Donald Fehr: Sidney Crosby

CBA Ping-Pong continues: Meeting ends as NHLPA reviews NHL’s newest offer


After a meager 30-minute meeting, Tuesday’s CBA talks ended because Donald Fehr and the NHLPA need time to review what he called the NHL’s “comprehensive” counter-proposal (via’s Dan Rosen).

Fehr told Rosen that he’s “reasonably certain” the two sides will meet on Wednesday while Gary Bettman made a similar prediction to RDS’ Renaud Lavoie. A phone call tomorrow morning is expected to determine if more face-to-face discussions will happen, though.

Fehr’s brief response provided basically zero details, while ESPN’s Katie Strang captured Bettman’s more verbose – but still quite vague – description.

As of this time, there is no word on whether the NHLPA will go forward with a disclaimer of interest, which carries a Wednesday deadline.

Ultimately, the most important dates probably remain Jan. 11 (Bettman’s admitted drop-dead date) and Jan. 19 (the probable goal to start the season). Some say that an agreement must be made by Thursday if they want to start on Jan. 12 instead, though.


The discussions are beginning to feel like a Ping-Pong match to many outside observers, whether the offer-trading has been productive or not.

To review the last few days:

The NHL made some concessions in a new offer on Friday. The NHLPA took some time to review the league’s lengthy (some might say “comprehensive”) 288-page offer before presenting a counter-offer on Monday. Finally, the two sides conducted internal meetings on Tuesday until the NHL came back with tonight’s counter-proposal to a counter-proposal.

Overall, the back-and-forth discussions might be a good sign even if the delays made tonight’s dealings feel a bit anticlimactic.

Torres suspended pending hearing

Raffi Torres, Cory Schneider
Leave a comment

According to TSN’s Darren Dreger, Raffi Torres has been suspended pending his disciplinary hearing with the league for his hit on Ducks forward Jakob Silfverberg.

Torres was assessed a match penalty for targeting Silfverberg’s head on Saturday night.

The 33-year-old missed all of last season with a knee injury, and it looks like the start of his regular season will be delayed once again.

Head coach Bruce Boudreau said that Silfverberg could have come back into the game, but he was held out for precautionary reasons.

Ducks center Ryan Kesler didn’t hide his feelings after the contest.

“(Torres) is the same player every year,” Kesler told reporters. “He needs to learn how to hit. That has no part in our game anymore.”



Oilers place Scrivens on waivers

Jordan Martinook, Ben Scrivens
Leave a comment

The Edmonton Oilers placed Ben Scrivens on waivers on Sunday.

Should he go unclaimed, the 29-year-old will be sent to the American Hockey League.

It looks like Edmonton will enter the regular season with Cam Talbot and Anders Nilsson as their goaltenders.

Scrivens was the team’s number one goalie last year, but his overall numbers were among the worst for starting goaltenders in the NHL.

He had a 15-26-11 record with a 3.16 goals-against-average and a .890 save percentage in 57 games last season.

Scrivens is scheduled to make $2.3 million in the final year of his contract.

If he does end up in the AHL, the Oilers will carry $1.35 million of dead money on the salary cap.

The move comes one day after Edmonton placed Nikita Nikitin on waivers.

The 29-year-old officially cleared on Sunday afternoon.