Most of the time, top Canadian players are busy during the Spengler Cup, but with the lockout dragging on — well, they got some free time.
With that in mind, Hockey Canada unveiled a stacked roster for the upcoming tournament.
Matt Duchene, Jason Spezza, John Tavares, Patrice Bergeron, Sam Gagner, Tyler Seguin, and Ryan Smyth will be leading the Canadian’s attack. Defensively, the squad will feature Cam Barker, Jason Demers, and Carlo Colaiacovo. Canada’s netminders will be Devan Dubnyk and Jonathan Bernier.
Doug Shedden will be the team’s head coach after three stints as an assistant coach in this tournament from 2009-11. Shedden is a retired player who had 325 points in 416 NHL games with the Pittsburgh Penguins, Detroit Red Wings, Quebec Nordiques, and Toronto Maple Leafs.
Hockey Canada pointed out that the squad will feature two former Olympic gold medalists (Smyth and Bergeron) and 11 players who have served on Team Canada during one or more World Championships.
The six-team tournament will take place from Dec. 26 to Dec. 31.
In slightly less interesting Los Angeles Kings news than the latest in the Mike Richards fiasco, the team handed Peter Budaj a one-year, two-way deal on Friday.
The veteran goalie’s contract pays $575K on the NHL level and $100K in the AHL (though it’s $150K guaranteed), according to Hockey’s Cap.
At the moment, it sounds like Budaj will be third on the Kings’ goalie depth chart. That says as much about how things have been going lately for Los Angeles than Budaj’s work on a PTO.
As noted above, one of the more significant moves in Budaj’s favor came when the New York Islanders claimed Jean-Francois Berube off of waivers this week.
The Kings actually waived Budaj before signing him, so this has to be a relief to a goalie with a fairly robust resume as a backup.
All apologies to Budaj, but it’s probably true that the Kings would prefer not to see him at the NHL level very often in 2015-16.
The Los Angeles Kings announced today that they have “reached an agreement with Mike Richards to resolve the grievance filed in relation to the termination of his NHL Standard Players Contract. The terms are agreeable to all parties.”
The club said that it will not be commenting further “on the terms” of the settlement.
The NHLPA released a similar statement.
It was reported earlier in the week that a settlement was close to being reached; however, it wasn’t clear what salary-cap penalties the Kings would incur.
We’re starting to find out some details now:
How the final numbers differ from what the Kings would have incurred if they’d bought Richards out will be interesting to see. And if there are differences, how will they be justified?