Last week, Marian Hossa was cleared from a season-ending concussion suffered during last year’s playoffs.
This week, he’s thinking about his playing future.
That’s what the Blackhawks forward told CSN Chicago on Monday, confirming he’s been medically cleared to resume playing hockey — possibly overseas, if that’s what it comes to.
“It definitely feels good to be cleared,” Hossa explained. “Basically after all the testing I’ve done I feel really comfortable with myself. Right now, I’m skating with the guys, I’m feeling good, and when the season starts, I’ll be ready.”
Just one catch: Hossa, like everybody else, has no idea when the season will start.
The 33-year-old suggested he’d eventually explore his European options — which isn’t all that surprising. Hossa was a busy guy during the last lockout, playing for two different European clubs: Trencin Dukla, the Slovakian team of his youth, and Mora IK of the Swedish Elite League, where he skated alongside Shawn Horcoff, Dan Cleary and Andreas Lilja.
“In the next few weeks we have to get a result [on if there is/isn’t an NHL season] — hopefully it’s a positive one,” Hossa said. “If not, I’ll do the next step and maybe look for other options.”
Last night in Los Angeles, Kings forward Milan Lucic received a match penalty after skating the entire width of the ice to give San Jose’s Logan Couture a two-hand shove to the face.
Lucic didn’t hurt Couture, who had caught Lucic with an open-ice hit that Lucic didn’t like. Couture’s smiling, mocking face was good evidence that the Sharks’ forward was going to be OK.
This morning, Lucic was still in disbelief that he was penalized so harshly.
“I didn’t cross any line,” Lucic said, per Rich Hammond of the O.C. Register. “Believe me, if my intentions were to hurt him, I would have hurt him.”
While Lucic knew he deserved a penalty, he said after the game that he didn’t “know why it was called a match penalty.” His coach, Darryl Sutter, agreed, calling it “a borderline even roughing penalty.”
And though former NHL referee Kerry Fraser believes a match penalty was indeed warranted, Lucic said this morning that he hasn’t heard from the NHL about any possible supplemental discipline.
Nor for that matter has Dustin Brown, after his high hit on Couture in the first period.
In conclusion, it’s good to have hockey back.
Related: Sutter says Kings weren’t ‘interested’ in checking the Sharks
A statement from Raffi Torres:
“I accept the 41-game suspension handed down to me by the NHL’s Department of Player Safety. I worked extremely hard over the last two years following reconstructive knee surgery to resume my NHL career, and this is the last thing I wanted to happen. I am disappointed I have put myself in a position to be suspended again. I sincerely apologize to Jakob for the hit that led to this suspension, and I’m extremely thankful that he wasn’t seriously injured as a result of the play. I also want to apologize to my Sharks teammates and the organization.”
A statement from San Jose GM Doug Wilson:
“The Sharks organization fully supports the NHL’s supplementary discipline decision regarding Raffi. While we do not believe there was any malicious intent, this type of hit is unacceptable and has no place in our game. There is a difference between playing hard and crossing the line and there is no doubt, in this instance, Raffi crossed that line. We’re very thankful that Jakob was not seriously injured as a result of this play.”
Silfverberg says he expects to play Saturday when the Ducks open their regular season Saturday in San Jose.