You know the lockout is getting to the players when Sidney Crosby is frustrated.
Dave Molinari of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette spoke with the Penguins captain who says he’s about fed with talks and is ready to start looking at Europe to play.
“I just want to play hockey, so as far as whatever option is best there, I’ll start thinking about it a lot more, because this stuff is getting ridiculous,” Crosby said. “All these games [not being played].”
The “games” he’s referring to, of course, center around what happened in New York City on Thursday when NHLPA Executive Director Donald Fehr announced the two sides actually had “complete agreement” on many things only to have NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman say moments later the league was pulling their offer off the table.
This process has exasperated Crosby. More from Molinari:
“I think I’m going to try to do what I can,” Crosby said Friday. “But after spending those three days [involved in the talks in New York], I think it’s pretty tough to kind of get guys’ trust back after that.”
We haven’t seen Sid this frustrated since Claude Giroux annoyed him in the playoffs.
Following his stunning 41-game suspension, it looks like Raffi Torres has at least one former teammate in his corner.
We haven’t yet seen how the San Jose Sharks or the NHLPA are reacting to the league’s hammer-dropping decision to punish Torres for his Torres-like hit on Jakob Silfverberg, but Jason Demers decided to put in a good word for Torres tonight.
It was a simple message: “#FreeTorres.”
Demers, now of the Dallas Stars, was once with Torres and the Sharks. (In case this post’s main image didn’t make that clear enough already.)
Perhaps this will become “a thing” at some point.
So far, it seems like it’s instead “a thing (that people are making fun of).”
… You get the idea.
The bottom line is that there are some who either a) blindly support Torres because they’re Sharks fans or b) simply think that the punishment was excessive.
The most important statement came from the Department of Player Safety, though.
Those who feel as though the Boston Bruins may rebound – John Tortorella, maybe? – likely rest some of their optimism on the back of a healthy Zdeno Chara.
It’s possible that he’s merely limping into what may otherwise be a healthy 2015-16 season, but it’s definitely looking like a slow start thanks to a lower-body injury.
The latest sign of a bumpy beginning came on Monday, as several onlookers (including CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty) pointed out that Chara was listed on injured reserve.
As Haggerty notes, that move is retroactive to Sept. 24, so his status really just opens up options for the Bruins.
Still … it’s a little unsettling, isn’t it?
The Bruins likely realize that they need to transition away from their generational behemoth, but last season provided a stark suggestion that may not be ready yet. Trading Dougie Hamilton and losing Dennis Seidenberg to injury only make them more dependent on the towering 38-year-old.
This isn’t really something to panic about, yet it might leave a few extra seats open on the Bruins’ bandwagon.