Source: Bruce Bennett/Getty Images North America

Owners react to roller coaster week of CBA talks

31 Comments

There was a sense of optimism about the CBA process when the players and owners met on Tuesday without NHLPA executive director Donald Fehr and NHL commissioner Gary Bettman.

Unfortunately those feelings didn’t last and talks seem to have broken down again.

With the dust still settling, four of the six owners that participated in the talks earlier this week issued statements.

“I must admit that I was shocked at how things have played out over the last 48 hours,” Toronto Maple Leafs owner Larry Tanenbaum said. “The sessions on Tuesday felt cooperative with an air of goodwill. I was optimistic and conveyed my optimism to the Board of Governors at our Wednesday meeting.

“However, when we reconvened with the players on Wednesday afternoon, it was like someone had thrown a switch. The atmosphere had completely changed.

“Nevertheless, the owners tried to push forward and made a number of concessions and proposals, which were not well-received. I question whether the union is interested in making an agreement.

“I am very disappointed and disillusioned. Had I not experienced this process myself, I might not have believed it.”

Winnipeg Jets owner Mark Chipman shared in Tanenbaum’s initial optimism, but expressed regret that the two sides could ultimately not close the gap on the issues that the league feels are essential.

The key points he’s likely referring are the issues of contract length, the CBA length, and compliance issues related to transitioning to a new agreement (e.g. buyouts, cap on escrow).

“While I sense there are some members of the players’ association that understand our perspective on these issues, clearly there are many that don’t,” Chipman said.

“We came back with an aggressive commitment to pensions which we felt was well received,” Pittsburgh Penguins owner Ron Burkle said before echoing Chipman’s remarks. “We needed a response on key items that were important to us, but we were optimistic that we were down to very few issues. I believe a deal was within reach.”

“While trust was built and progress was made along the way, unfortunately, our proposal was rejected by the union’s leadership,” added Tampa Bay Lightning owner Jeff Vinik. “My love for the game is only superseded by my commitment to our fans and I hold out hope we can soon join with our players and return the game back to its rightful place on the ice.”

Related:

Not good enough: NHL rejects latest NHLPA offer

Habs sign Mark Streit — is he Markov’s replacement?

Getty
Leave a comment

The Montreal Canadiens have signed 39-year-old defenseman Mark Streit to a one-year contract worth a reported $700,000.

This will actually be Streit’s second stint with the Habs. He started his NHL career in Montreal, all the way back in 2005.

Streit split last season between Philadelphia and Pittsburgh. In the playoffs, he only appeared in three games for the Penguins, all of them in the Eastern Conference Final against Ottawa when Justin Schultz was hurt.

What the Streit signing means for Andrei Markov remains to be seen. Streit, like Markov, can run a power play, so it’s tempting to conclude that Streit is Markov’s replacement.

That being said, almost all of Streit’s contract could be buried in the AHL if necessary, so that conclusion may be premature. This could even be a move by GM Marc Bergevin to gain leverage and convince Markov to sign.

Markov, 38, remains an unrestricted free agent. The Canadiens want him back, but only at a certain price.

Devils give Mirco Mueller two-year extension

Getty
Leave a comment

The New Jersey Devils have signed defenseman Mirco Mueller to a two-year contract extension with a cap hit of $850,000.

Mueller, a first-round draft pick of the Sharks in 2013, has only played 54 NHL games, scoring two goals with four assists. In June, after spending most of 2016-17 in the AHL, San Jose traded the 22-year-old to the Devils.

In New Jersey, Mueller should get a good chance to crack a rebuilding roster.

“Mirco is adding another piece to what we’re trying to build here,” Devils coach John Hynes said, per NJ.com. “He’s a young player, he can play with pace. He’s a very good skater. He’s got size, which is something we need on the back end. He makes a good first pass. He allows you to get out of your own zone because he can break out, he can end plays defensively, get possession, make the pass to be able to transition yourself out of defensive situations.”

The Devils have also re-signed goalie Scott Wedgewood and forward Joseph Blandisi.

Rangers lock up Zibanejad for next five years

Getty
1 Comment

The New York Rangers have locked up a key piece of their future, signing center Mika Zibanejad to a five-year deal with a cap hit of $5.35 million.

Zibanejad had an arbitration hearing scheduled for today, but that won’t be required anymore.

The 24-year-old had 14 goals and 23 assists in 56 games last season. It was his first year in New York after getting traded from Ottawa for Derick Brassard.

With Derek Stepan in Arizona now, Zibanejad is arguably the Rangers’ No. 1 center. Kevin Hayes is in that conversation as well, and perhaps Lias Andersson will be soon.

But getting Zibanejad signed long term was a top priority for GM Jeff Gorton this offseason. Hayes can become a restricted free agent next summer, but that’s a bridge to cross at a later date.

Related: Andersson to get ‘every opportunity’ to make Rangers next season

Avalanche reportedly settle with Nieto, avoiding arbitration

Getty
1 Comment

Matt Nieto won’t need his arbitration hearing on Monday.

According to Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman, Nieto has agreed to a one-year, $1 million contract with the Colorado Avalanche.

Nieto split last season between San Jose and Colorado, which claimed him off waivers in January.

In 43 games for the Avalanche, the 24-year-old forward scored seven goals with four assists.

Nieto was the only Colorado player on this summer’s arbitration list. However, the Avs still have a restricted free agent in Nikita Zadorov, who could be off to the KHL next season.