AHL to continue with hybrid icing until NHL play resumes


On Tuesday, the American Hockey League announced it would extend its trial period of hybrid icing.

From the AHL website:

American Hockey League President and Chief Executive Officer David Andrews announced today that the league’s Board of Governors has voted to continue the current test of AHL Rule 82 (“Icing”) until the resumption of play in the National Hockey League, at which time it will be reconsidered by the AHL Board.

At the request of the National Hockey League, the AHL Board of Governors in June approved a test of a variation of Rule 82 that, in the event of a potential icing violation, completes the play should a defending player be the first to reach the end zone face-off dots and provided the puck will cross the goal line at that point.

In late October, Andrews spoke with The Sporting News about the implementation of hybrid icing and was quick to call it a success:

SN: You have hybrid icing this year. It’s not the first time you’ve tetsted rules for the NHL. How is this one going?

DA: Perfect. I have had nothing but positive feedback from coaches, from players, from scouts. It’s going really well. We’re going to evaluate it on Nov. 19, when we meet with the competition committee, and we’ll get feedback from NHL general managers, but I expect we’ll leave it in for the rest of the year.

Sabres GM Darcy Regier has been following AHL Rochester throughout the year and said he’s on board with the hybrid idea.

“I’ve seen enough of it that I want to see more of it,” he told the Rochester Democrat and Chronicle.

Torres offered in-person hearing, potentially setting up long suspension

Torres hit
Leave a comment

What will Raffi Torres get this time?

The 33-year-old forward that has become known primarily for his controversial hits has once again put himself in the sights of the NHL’s Department of Players Safety. They confirmed that he was offered an in-person hearing following his hit on Jakub Silfverberg Saturday night. He declined the opportunity to meet with them face-to-face, but the offer itself is an important detail because it gives the league the option to suspend him for more than five games.

It certainly seems like the stage is set for a lengthy suspension. For one thing, Torres is a repeat offender who once was banned from 25 games for his hit on Marian Hossa in 2012, although it was later reduced to 21 contests after an appeal. The NHL found that Torres was guilty of breaking three rules for that hit; namely interference, charging, and illegally hitting the head. The NHL is reviewing Torres’ latest incident for the same three violations.

You can see the hit below:

And here it is slowed down:

Torres got a match penalty and Silfverberg left the game. Fortunately, Ducks coach Bruce Boudreau said that Silfverberg could have returned, but was kept out for precautionary reasons.

Flames acquire Freddie Hamilton, brother of Dougie

Freddie Hamilton
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Roughly three months after acquiring Dougie Hamilton, the Calgary Flames have brought his brother on board too.

Freddie Hamilton was pried away from the Colorado Avalanche for the cost a 2016 conditional seventh-round draft pick, per the Avalanche’s website. The Flames announced that he will report to AHL Stockton.

Freddie, who is the older of the two at 23, is a center that excelled offensively in the OHL and has chipped in at the AHL level. However, he has just one point in 29 contests with Colorado and the San Jose Sharks.

This is obviously not a big trade, but perhaps Freddie will eventually become a solid member of the Flames’ supporting cast. If nothing else, it didn’t cost Calgary much to reunite the brothers. The duo previously played together with the Niagara IceDogs.