The NHL and NHLPA ended Monday night’s meeting in less than two hours, but here’s a kernel of hope: they’ll probably reconvene on Tuesday, according to Minnesota Star Tribune reporter Michael Russo.
(NHLPA head Donald Fehr told New York Newsday’s Steve Zipay that meetings are “more likely than not” to happen.)
The exact time of tomorrow’s potential meeting hasn’t been revealed yet.
Extending the discussions is a heartening development considering the fact that many believe that the 2013 All-Star Game and all contests through Dec. 15 are in danger of being canceled as soon as this week.
Stay tuned for statements and details from both sides – if they choose to provide any.
Daly: “I’m frustrated”
According to TSN’s Darren Dreger, Raffi Torres has been suspended pending his disciplinary hearing with the league for his hit on Ducks forward Jakob Silfverberg.
Torres was assessed a match penalty for targeting Silfverberg’s head on Saturday night.
The 33-year-old missed all of last season with a knee injury, and it looks like the start of his regular season will be delayed once again.
Head coach Bruce Boudreau said that Silfverberg could have come back into the game, but he was held out for precautionary reasons.
Ducks center Ryan Kesler didn’t hide his feelings after the contest.
“(Torres) is the same player every year,” Kesler told reporters. “He needs to learn how to hit. That has no part in our game anymore.”
The Edmonton Oilers placed Ben Scrivens on waivers on Sunday.
Should he go unclaimed, the 29-year-old will be sent to the American Hockey League.
It looks like Edmonton will enter the regular season with Cam Talbot and Anders Nilsson as their goaltenders.
Scrivens was the team’s number one goalie last year, but his overall numbers were among the worst for starting goaltenders in the NHL.
He had a 15-26-11 record with a 3.16 goals-against-average and a .890 save percentage in 57 games last season.
Scrivens is scheduled to make $2.3 million in the final year of his contract.
If he does end up in the AHL, the Oilers will carry $1.35 million of dead money on the salary cap.
The move comes one day after Edmonton placed Nikita Nikitin on waivers.
The 29-year-old officially cleared on Sunday afternoon.