Matt Halischuk

Halischuk: “No one likes to miss paychecks”


We’re already in the third month of this lockout, but it could go much longer.

In an endurance battle, it’s easy to assume that the owners have the edge. Many of them made their wealth outside of hockey and can survive without the NHL. In addition, they are in a better position to think long-term while the players that can only survive in the NHL as long as their bodies will let them.

All the same, the players haven’t changed their tune even as the lockout costs them paycheck after paycheck.

“I think I feel more upset that we’re missing out on what we could be doing,” Nashville Predators defenseman Hal Gill said, according to the Tennessean. “Obviously you want to make a paycheck, but for the most part we want to be playing hockey. There’s no reason we shouldn’t be. That’s a frustrating thing. Not much we can do about it right now. We have to stand up for what we believe in and we have to stick it out and hopefully it doesn’t last too much longer.”

Gill is technically in the first season of his two-year, $4 million contract. He’ll turn 38 in April, so it’s not out of the realm of possibilities that this contract is his last.

His teammate Matt Halischuk is facing a very different situation. He was scheduled to make $825,000 this season, but at the age of 24 he’ll have to deal with the repercussions of the next CBA more than most.

“No one likes to miss paychecks,” Halischuk said, “but at the end of the day we’re looking to get a fair deal.”

Of course, it’s easy to voice a belief, but it’s harder to stick too it. We’ll see if the increasing threat of losing the season eventually causes the players — or the owners for that matter — to move from their current positions.


Report: Based on NHL charts, league thinks gap might be over $1 billion

Kaberle: Both sides need to smarten up

Why did Bettman suggest a two-week moratorium on talks?

Jason Demers tweets #FreeTorres, gets mocked

Los Angeles Kings v San Jose Sharks - Game One
Leave a comment

Following his stunning 41-game suspension, it looks like Raffi Torres has at least one former teammate in his corner.

We haven’t yet seen how the San Jose Sharks or the NHLPA are reacting to the league’s hammer-dropping decision to punish Torres for his Torres-like hit on Jakob Silfverberg, but Jason Demers decided to put in a good word for Torres tonight.

It was a simple message: “#FreeTorres.”

Demers, now of the Dallas Stars, was once with Torres and the Sharks. (In case this post’s main image didn’t make that clear enough already.)

Perhaps this will become “a thing” at some point.

So far, it seems like it’s instead “a thing (that people are making fun of).”

… You get the idea.

The bottom line is that there are some who either a) blindly support Torres because they’re Sharks fans or b) simply think that the punishment was excessive.

The most important statement came from the Department of Player Safety, though.

Bruins list Chara on IR, for now

Zdeno Chara

Those who feel as though the Boston Bruins may rebound – John Tortorella, maybe? – likely rest some of their optimism on the back of a healthy Zdeno Chara.

It’s possible that he’s merely limping into what may otherwise be a healthy 2015-16 season, but it’s definitely looking like a slow start thanks to a lower-body injury.

The latest sign of a bumpy beginning came on Monday, as several onlookers (including’s Joe Haggerty) pointed out that Chara was listed on injured reserve.

As Haggerty notes, that move is retroactive to Sept. 24, so his status really just opens up options for the Bruins.

Still … it’s a little unsettling, isn’t it?

The Bruins likely realize that they need to transition away from their generational behemoth, but last season provided a stark suggestion that may not be ready yet. Trading Dougie Hamilton and losing Dennis Seidenberg to injury only make them more dependent on the towering 38-year-old.

This isn’t really something to panic about, yet it might leave a few extra seats open on the Bruins’ bandwagon.