Blake Geoffrion 2

Habs’ Geoffrion out of hospital after skull fracture surgery

1 Comment

Some good news out of Montreal on Wednesday: Canadiens forward Blake Geoffrion was released from hospital after undergoing surgery for a depressed skull fracture.

The 24-year-old has yet to speak publicly — he did manage to walk around downtown Montreal and have lunch with his fiancee — but his father, Danny, updated Blake’s status.

“You almost have to think it’s a miracle,” the elder Geoffrion told the Montreal Gazette. “[Blake] just can’t believe that this has happened. And that’s what is so tough mentally.

“He’s just asking himself the ‘why’ question.”

Here’s more on Geoffrion’s trying last few days, from the Hamilton Spectator:

During a CT scan, Blake had gone into convulsions. Quickly it became apparent that he had a depressed skull fracture and a piece of his skull had been pushed into his brain. This was suddenly very dangerous. Without hesitation, they OK’d the operation. Then waited nervously for word…

…A day later, Danny says he and his wife stared out the window as the sun rose over Montreal, a city he knows so well. It was beautiful, he thought. Then they turned and looked at their kid lying on a hospital bed. Half his head was shaved. A long, snaking incision starting from his sideburn curled over the scalp to look like a giant question mark.

It remains unclear if Geoffrion will be able to return to the ice this season.


Canadiens prospect Blake Geoffrion hospitalized with head injury

Geoffrion in stable condition after surgery for skull fracture

Hospital moves Blake Geoffrion out of intensive care unit

Stars to scratch Nichushkin after rough outing versus Avs?

Craig Anderson
Leave a comment

Looks as though slumping Dallas winger Valeri Nichushkin could be a healthy scratch tonight when the Stars host the Oilers at American Airlines.

Per the Morning-News, Nichushkin — who barely played in the second and third periods of Saturday’s 6-3 loss to Colorado — is likely to be replaced by Colton Sceviour in the lineup.

Stars head coach Lindy Ruff was fuming after the Avs defeat, calling it “embarrassing, worse than disappointing.” It didn’t take a genius to realize one of the players in his doghouse was Nichushkin, who had just 2:02 of ice time in the second period and 3:24 in the third.

Yesterday, Ruff dropped Nichushkin to the fourth line in practice.

“I’ve been trying to help him by shifting him around,” the head coach explained. “He had some struggles early in camp on right wing, so I put him on left, and he doesn’t seem real comfortable at left right now.

“His game, everything has got to get a little bit quicker.”

The 10th overall pick in 2013, Nichushkin has struggled to build on the form shown in his rookie campaign, when he scored 14 goals and 34 points in 79 contests.

He missed nearly all of last season with a linger hip ailment and has been a virtual non-factor through the first two games this year.

Report: Teams ‘screaming bloody murder’ about Richards settlement

Mike Richards

When the Los Angeles Kings announced they’d settled with Mike Richards, it didn’t take long for the accusations of salary-cap circumvention to materialize.

And though NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly was adamant that the settlement was “far from” circumvention, apparently not everyone agrees with the league in that regard.

“Privately, other teams are screaming bloody murder and are threatening to make an issue about it at December’s Board of Governors’ meeting,” Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman reports.

Friedman goes into more detail in his story, so click the link to read more.

But remember how we wrote that the issue in this case was precedent, and that the “NHL and NHLPA can’t allow teams to escape onerous contracts through a back door”?

Well, one agent posed a good question to Friedman: “What’s to stop other teams from trying this?”